1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100" Projector screen ripples!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by FlyingBig, Sep 5, 2004.

1. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have to large ripples on the left and right handside of the screen that i just can't get rid of. I have tried ridding them by running my hand over them but they just come back. Whats the best method of making the screen completely flat without those damn ripples. Thicker screen? I am thinking of a towel/Iron method but im not that desperate...yet! Any help appreciated.

2. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,440
    I need some similar help too.

7' wide Drapa Luma (got it free from AV Nutter a while ago :thumbsup: ), it was perfeectly fine till i moved house a couple of weeks ago. When i hung it yesterday its got a sort of semi-crease/ripple running diagonal in the bottom right quardrant, a smaller one parallel about 6" towards the centre :confused: I can only guess the girlfriend moved it and didnt stand it properly sometime before the move, and its spent some weeks getting distorted.

So is there any way of removing, or at least decreasing, the amount of ripple a screen has? :lease:

EDIT: just notice this is in PJ's not screens. I had done a search on ripples and just replied which is why. I'll add that i'd like to hold off buying another till those black Sony screens (or equivelent) come out, so really would like some tips!

3. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have had the same problem with a v ripple on an 8 foot electric screen, i have found by getting a couple of a4 bits of paper folded in half and half again lighty wedged into the roll seems to flatten out the screen quite a bit. i stick the paper about 2 foot in from either end. it seems from what i have read a lot of screens suffer this problem.

all the best.... splice :smashin:

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moved to projection screen forum.....

:smoke:

5. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,440
    Just to make sure i'm getting what you're saying; So you wedge these in while you roll it up? So in effect adding pressure on the ripple and letting nature/physics do its stuff for a few days?

Watched a bit of Open Range last night, and tbh i didnt actually notice the small ripple at all (actively trying to look for it), and the big one very rarely. Might try leaving it dangling down for a few days (which seems to be the other method), i wonder if adding weights at the bottom would help? And then might try this paper-jamming method. Anyways still have the somewhat scary task of mounting the PJ. Considering i was having problems aligning it on a trolley i'm not looking forwards to doing it on the mount...

Oh and cheers Kramer - always good to keep things tidy!

6. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, i actually only leave them in when i am watching films at the moment, then i remove before putting the screen up...when i remember that is, i did leave them in the other night when i removed them it had not made any difference to the characteristics of the ripples, imo they are there forever. i may try leaving them in but don't want to make matters worse. tbh my screen is 8' x 8' so i could lower the limit slightly and insert the paper in permenant to see if that works i will post my findings when i can be bothered to mess with my limits again... another story. unfortunately because i have a slight side view of the screen when i am watching movies i do tend to notice the rippling quite bad on pans, and this method seems to do it for me. it dose'nt iron it out like a sheet of glass but it most definately smooths the screen out enough that it don't p*s? me off. i only discovered it by accident really, i was wiping over the screen with a cloth and i noticed when my fingers were between the roller end the casing the v ripple faded what i did first was get a single bit of a4 folded over twice and slipped in, but this put ripples at the top, then i tried 2 bits spaced out and voila..

all the best.... splice ;)