• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

100% picture quality but picture freeze

Funky Monkey

Standard Member
Hi Folks, new to the site but heres my problem. My TV (Neon) which is about 5 yrs old was connected to an outside aerial fitted 12 years ago but the picture which is always clear has always occasionally frozen, so recently I decided to install an SLX 48Element Digital TV Aerial in the loft, I live in West Yorkshire and can see Emley Moor mast from our upstairs rooms, having fitted and connected the new aerial theres no improvement with the picture still freezing, when I check the tv menu I find the the signal strength is 76% - 80% with 100% picture quality, anybody got any idea's? Thanks in advance.
:lease:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
At a guess there's a problem with the TV. A poor signal doesn't cause picture freezing, the picture just breaks up into a pixelated mess.

Gavtech

Administrator
This sort of freezing with an otherwise good signal quality is consistent with interference from an unwelcome source.

This can be a devil to identify ... but are there any clues in when it happens (time of day) ... how long it happens.

Could it be consistent with anything happening in your home?

Heating thermostats, Fridge thermostats, Central heating pumps and Electro-mecahnical heating valves.... Fluorescent lamps (including modern compacts)... Faulty street lights... etc etc are all known causes of such interference.

Funky Monkey

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies, It can happen at anytime while we are watching, summer or winter, so can dismiss heating system and I have tried to pin it down to interferrence from other electrical items without joy, the picture only stops for a second or two and sound disappears, really annoying if it's the punch line to a joke or a goal going in when watching football, maybe I need to try to borrow a TV from someone who doesn't have any problems to see if thats where the fault is.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
I also have a 5 year old LCD (Digihome with a 1050 x1680 22" screen) wall mounted in my kitchen. The picture is still remarkably good. Once in a while however one will get a few tweets and video blocks which over a period of about 30 seconds gets progressively worse resulting in a complete freeze.

Firstly the original error is probably caused by one of the big birds that seem to settle on aerials hereabouts.

However I have concluded that the progression to freeze is caused by the older Freeview tuner not being able to recover errors when decoding the now universal (except HD which is N/A) QAM64 modulated multiplexes.

Tuning straight to another channel on another multiplex and back again instantly cures.

I do not get this problem with 2 other more modern TV's fed via distribution amp from the same aerial.

Last edited:

kokolino23

Established Member
There is any chance you can borrow a freeview tv box from somewhere? If this works, then it's definitely something wrong with the TV tuner.

winston2010

Prominent Member
Hi Folks, new to the site but heres my problem. My TV (Neon) which is about 5 yrs old was connected to an outside aerial fitted 12 years ago but the picture which is always clear has always occasionally frozen, so recently I decided to install an SLX 48Element Digital TV Aerial in the loft, I live in West Yorkshire and can see Emley Moor mast from our upstairs rooms, having fitted and connected the new aerial theres no improvement with the picture still freezing, when I check the tv menu I find the the signal strength is 76% - 80% with 100% picture quality, anybody got any idea's? Thanks in advance.
:lease:

First there is no such thing as a digital aerial. What you put in the loft was a wide band UHF aerial, oh and it is not 48 element. That is a marketing ploy where they count most elements 4 times. But I digress. Not sure why you went from the roof to the loft, that is going to lose you 20 odd dB of signal straight away not to mention problems with reflections from water tanks, wiring etc.

It does rather look like a TV problem and I suggest you try another one if you can or try your TV on a friends aerial who does not have the problem.

maldonian

Established Member
I live in West Yorkshire and can see Emley Moor mast from our upstairs rooms, having fitted and connected the new aerial theres no improvement with the picture still freezing, when I check the tv menu I find the the signal strength is 76% - 80% with 100% picture quality, anybody got any idea's?

Are you sure the TV is tuned to Emley Moor? If it can also receive another transmitter that uses lower frequencies it might be tuning to that and putting the duplicate channels from Emley Moor into the 800s. If so and if you've got a manual search option on the TV you can use that to tune to just Emley Moor.

What sort of coax have you used for the downlead? If you have used (or re-used) 'low loss' coax that only has a braid screen it will not have very good screening properties. You should use CAI benchmarked cable, which will have a braid plus foil screen. It might or might not help in your case but it will minimise the possibility of impulse interference penetrating the cable.

Otherwise I go along with comments and suggestions that have already been made. If the interference is being received by the aerial it might be impossible to prevent it. Mounting a benchmarked aerial outside, as high as possible, will usually give the best ratio of signal to interference.

Different TVs and set top boxes can behave differently when impulse interference disrupts reception. Some display the picture break up, others store the last good picture received and display that, which freezes the picture until either the reception recovers or the picture goes blank.

Winston2010 said:
First there is no such thing as a digital aerial. What you put in the loft was a wide band UHF aerial, oh and it is not 48 element. That is a marketing ploy where they count most elements 4 times. But I digress.

The OP was just repeating the retail description, for example:

SLx 27884D 48 Element Digital TV Aerial: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

SLX 48 Element High Gain Digital TV Aerial, 27884D/04

If you don't like these widely used descriptions perhaps you ought to direct your comments to the aerial manufacturers, retailers and installers who use them rather than at anyone who repeats them on these forums. Having said that, I agree with your comment about counting elements 4 times, but I'm less sympathetic towards the 'no such thing as a digital aerial' campaign. The CAI aerial benchmarking scheme is specifically for aerials that are intended for digital reception. But now I'm digressing.

Funky Monkey

Standard Member
Ok Guys, I knew somebody would pick up on "digital aerial" as soon as I posted my problem but I did quote as advertised, didn't know about counting the elements 4 times though.
To answer a couple of questions,
  • I put it in the loft because I havent got a ladder big enough to get on to the roof, yes I could have had this professionally fitted but I am trying to do a DIY job here and as I am getting 100% picture quality and 76-80% signal strength from the loft I thought this would be ok.
  • Definately Emley Moor and no channels in the 800's
  • Coax is new satellite cable Commtel RG6U
But thanks to all your replies I think it's down to the TV, I managed to get another set connected today (LG)and no problems during the couple of hours I was watching, I am now going to try to get hold of a set top box to see if that works as well just to confirm.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Problems like this can take a while to sort-out. Here's may take .....

The fact that you can see the Emley Moor tower from your home suggests that perhaps you're getting too much signal -- too much signal can cause the same sort of break-up problems as too little. Signal/quality strength meters in DTVs and boxes are just a guide -- without using proper testing equipment you don't have any real idea what your kit is seeing.

If it were me, I'd try the following.

-- Have you any other kit looped in the aerial chain, like a PVR? If so, do things get better if it's removed? (If you do have something in chain, also disconnect any cables like scart, HDMI, to make sure that the isolation is complete.)
-- Insert a 3 or 6dB attenuator (or better, a variable unit) between the aerial lead and TV, to reduce the signal levels. If you're close to the TX 12dB might be a better bet for a fixed attenuator, but you can daisy-chain them (so a 3+6 = 9dB attenuation). Does the break-up reduce/stop?
-- The choice of downlead is a little odd, IMHO. I've always used CT100-type cable, not RG6. It probably doesn't have much of a bearing in isolation though, but I'd replace it. It could be that you have a break in the cable shielding somewhere. A continuity tester is your friend.
-- Use a mains surge protector/filter, just in case you're picking-up odd interference from something in your house. It's doubtful that this is the cause, but it certainly won't do any harm (other than to your wallet, perhaps!).
-- Try fitting ferrite chokes to the aerial cable and mains lead of the TV. These are the type that clamp round cables. The likes of Maplins sell them. I've used these successfully in the past to sort-out an interference problem with a VCR.
-- Use a Freeview STB/PVR connected to the TV and try that, both without and with attenuation (if you see break-up). If that proves trouble-free then I'd start to suspect the TV.
-- Do confirm that you are getting broadcasts from Emley and not somewhere else. Use sites like ukfree.tv to double-check.
-- Take your TV to a friend's house -- someone who doesn't have problems with reception. If the TV checks-out OK, and none of the suggestions above has helped then you might want to call on the services of a professional aerial installer, or go for Freesat!

My money (were I a betting man) is on too much signal. I've seen this many times before. Do bear in mind that break-up and glitches do occur, even when everything is set-up correctly. TBH, this is the sort of thing that drives me nuts, but thus far with a bit of patience I've usually managed to sort things out, or reach a reasonable compromise. Of course, you could use this as an excuse to buy a new TV .....

HTH

Good luck.

Clem

gingerbird67

Standard Member
Hi, Our neon v is freezing at times same as funky monkey and the panasonic phone is 3 feet away, I have just moved it but I am wondering what the connection is?

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi, Our neon v is freezing at times same as funky monkey and the panasonic phone is 3 feet away, I have just moved it but I am wondering what the connection is?

Has moving it cured the problem?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom