"100% Improvement"

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Is this even possible.

I've had an email from Symantec about upgrading one of their products to the latest version, Backup Exec 2014. They claim up to 100% speed improvement in backup times.

So a backup that used to take 2 hours, will now potentially take no time at all, literally?

I'm sold.

liamt

i dont think you get it. 100% better just means twice as good. and with symantec they probably just mean 'a bit less sh*t' or 'almost works now'

IronGiant

They were 100% faster at typing than I was :)

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
A speed increase of 100% will make it take half the time to complete :p
The email came in early this morning and I read it 20 times, being sure I was wrong (not what I wrote in the OP)... it's been one of those months - match sticks wouldn't suffice in keeping my eyes open at the moment!

One part of my brain was saying:

100% of 2 hours = 2 hours
2 hours - 2 hours = 0

What a bellend :blush:

IronGiant

Don't worry about it :smashin:

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
I was once asked to look into why a bonus scheme a company had introduced wasn't working. It turned out they'd set the normal level working at 100%, usually it's 80% and bonus is paid for anything above normal. Setting it at 100% meant workers had to achieve 101% before they got the bonus payment which is impossible.

pandemic

I think it depends on how the improvement is being measured.
i.e. if it used to take 2 hours to update and now it takes 1 hours, to me that's a 50% improvement. However, if we say the upload rate was 1mb/s and now it's 2mb/s, that's a 100% improvement.

Ofcourse, in a marketing sense a 100% sounds better.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
I think it depends on how the improvement is being measured.
i.e. if it used to take 2 hours to update and now it takes 1 hours, to me that's a 50% improvement. However, if we say the upload rate was 1mb/s and now it's 2mb/s, that's a 100% improvement.

Ofcourse, in a marketing sense a 100% sounds better.
2 hours to 1 hour is a 50% reduction in update duration, or a 100% increase in update speed (n/2 per hour to n per hour)

100% 'improvement' is a bit of a sloppy term IMO

pandemic

100% 'improvement' is a bit of a sloppy term IMO
Yep, I had a look at their website which actually states in the specs. 100% faster backup speed. Which I'd say is technically correct and comes with a disclamer [*based on our internal testing]. The email is is probably written by 'non-techies', unlike the specs.

HouseTonyStark

Its all psychology really, people are drawn in by A: large numbers and B: getting more for their money. ergo focus groups(in marketing studies in general) would test more positively to a 100% Increase in performance over a 50% reduction in time. even though they are the same thing in reality.

liamt

Its all psychology really, people are drawn in by A: large numbers and B: getting more for their money. ergo focus groups(in marketing studies in general) would test more positively to a 100% Increase in performance over a 50% reduction in time. even though they are the same thing in reality.
agreed. you can bend stats to your desire a lot of the time.

and knowing symantec they probably tested an old pentium machine with IDE HDD over a sata 3 xenon server. they are a terrible company.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom