1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100 hz

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by peve3, Feb 22, 2003.

1. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    do plasma have a 100hz refresh rate i red somewhere that the pioneer does but was just wondering if it is the norm ?

2. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Seeing as you have no takers......

I suspect that it depends on the input used. Sky, DVD etc will be handled at 100Hz. However, I would expect a computer signal to be handled at whatever the video card refresh is set at like any other monitor.

Personally, I think there are loads more things to worry about than scan rate when trying to pick one of these darned goggle boxes !!!

3. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cool thx m8, well it is quite important as it makes computer games run faster thus making them more fun so its quite important for me !! but if all plasma use 100hz then i got nothing to worry about:clap:

4. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The refresh rate makes computer games run faster ???!!! I think you might be confusing 'refresh rate' with 'frame rate', surely ?

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Agree with Monty, the refresh rate does not affect the speed of the actual picture or frames.
    And PC sources should run at the refresh rate set by the graphics adapter.

6. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hmmmm, well when i play HALO or any racing game it is far faster than 50hz. The enemys in HALO run much faster attke much faster and generally are much faster and this in turn crates are far more fun and intence gaming experiance!!. if u dont beliave me try any games console be it ps2,gamecube,or xbox. !! allso i remember on my old dreamcast when u had the option of 50 or 60 hz, 50 hz generally made the picture sharper but 60hz made it smoother and faster but 100hz double the speed allmost thats why i want a plasma which supports 100hz and im beleive now that they all support 100HZ as standard am i right ? Thx for any help all :hiya:

7. peo

peo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If a game has the option of 50/60Hz, there is a chance that the game will run quicker at 60Hz (about 17% I believe), if the 50Hz version is unoptimised. However, there are plenty of games which are well optimised for 50Hz, and run just as fast as the 60Hz version.

However, there is absolutley no speed increase with a 100Hz TV. It might look smoother, but there is not a speed increase, Halo does not run faster, racing games are not quicker. And I am talking from experience, I own a PS2, Xbox, Cube and Dreamcast, and have run them on normal TVs, a 100Hz WEGA and now a Panasonic plasma, and there is no difference in speed between any of them.

So don't worry about it, if you get a plasma there is no doubt your games will look awesome, and they will run as fast as they possibly can! ;)

8. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cool, thx m8 i still thinck that they run faster on 100hz tv and my brother recons so two, so its not just my messed up eyes or any thing!! i allso have every console that u have + more try this test out your self load up project gotham racing and play a lap on 50hz then try 60 hz they will be a small differance but its quite hard to tell. Now set ya xbox to pal60 and your tv to 100hz now if there is no differance in that then i may as well jump of a cliff !!! :suicide:

9. peo

peo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No need to jump off a cliff! If it seems quicker to you then don't worry about it! :D

10. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2