1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100 hz - what to look for

Discussion in 'TVs' started by keyser, Jun 30, 2002.

1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What side effects should I look for on a 100hz TV - one is smearing of fast moving objects, are any sources better than others for spotting this, I´d imagine a snooker match would be good. And also what should problems should I watch out for on the Toshiba TV´s, heard some talk of black bars and dirty screen whatever that means

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't think there's any snooker on at the moment, though Pot Black has just started again :( how about tennis, wait for a Creg Rusedski match and if the ball don't smear nothing will. :D

The side effects (including smearing) of 100hz sets are the broadcasts themselves or having to many of the sets digital enhancements on, DNR being one of them, this set to max will give dreadful pictures. It's not the side effects of the 100hz you should really be looking for but other major faults that many of the sets have through sloppy quality control.

Good Luck

Bob

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Another problem to look out for is bad color resolution - this is mostly visible with video games. It's common for 100Hz processing to heavily downsample the color, so to make the data fit into relatively small memories. A side effect is that even with RGB signals, the color is never as sharp as on an analog 50Hz set.

4. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, thats one of the things I noticed at the store, the 50hz set had much sharper coulours... thought maybe they just messed up the settings. If I have a 50hz set, does then a ntsc 60hz picture get converted to 50hz?