1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100 hz TV's and games consoles - any problems?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Ramspeed, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi all

Anyone had any experience of using games consoles with 100hz CRT TV's. Are there any problems with 100 hz processing with games running at 50/60hz? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm a keen gamer and I'm about to buy a new TV.

Cheers

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    No problems, except if you want to play light gun games then you will need to buy a particular gun, but other than that no problems. Halo2 and PGR2 look great in 100hz, even better in progressive scan as well.

3. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    thanks iamtheone. I was in fact thinking of getting a progressive CRT TV but there are so many problems reported on this site regarding progressive CRT's that I've been put off. Do you have an opinion?

4. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Well i'm on my 2nd progressive scan capable Tv and have had no problem with them at all. My 1st was a Toshiba 32ZD26p which i had from new for about 2 years and never had a problem with it in any way, the only problem with it was that is was NTSC progressive scan only, so i've recently upgraded to a Toshiba 36ZP48 which i got in the classifieds of this forum for a bargain price, and again absolutely no issues with it at all. Personally i dont watch that much tv, i got it for my xbox addiction and for games it looks amazing, certainly makes shooting people easier when their head is 12" big, and for DVD's the progressive picture is fantastic. Only thing i will say is, if you get a Toshiba, then change the picture settings straight away as the factory default ones are awfull, Contrast @ 100% anyone!!! :mad:

5. safin

safin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you asked this!!
    I have had a problem with my B&O BV3 when using my Playstation 1. Some games play ok, others seem to scroll up the screen making them totally unplayable. I am using the red,white and yellow inputs (camcorder) for the PS1 which is located on the underside of the tv but I do have a spare scart input which is not being used. Should I try that or would it be just the same? I am not too bothered about this as the PS1 doesnt get used from one month to the next,but it would be good to know why it does this and if there is a fix .
    I am guessing the problem is because of the 100hz/progressive scan issue.
    Interesting to read no one else has had this with other makes of tv.
    Thanks.
    S.

6. deancraigrose

deancraigrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooon Tan, could you reccomend the best settings for watching football on the tosh? I tend to have the contrast well down but any advice would be great.

7. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    From memory my setting are:
    Contrast: 65
    Brightness: 49
    Scan Mode: Natural
    DNR: Auto(i only have this on for the footie)
    Black Stretch: Off

I'll have a check when i get home and update this post if there is anyting that needs changing.