100 Hz Question

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Mikef, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Mikef

Mikef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Just been reading a review of a new Toshiba tv in What HiFi, and it talks about the set having different 'modes' of 100HZ for different inputs (Active for sports, Natural for normal viewing...etc).

Is this normal for a 100hz tv? I've seen some reference to sets 'smearing' with action scenes, is this a way around that problem?

I've been thinking of getting a new tv - possibly the sony 32ls60 (not being a drc set, I'm hoping it avoids the dreaded black bars...), but now I'm wondering if getting any kind of 100hz set is just setting myself up for trouble. Is it worth the cost?

Any opinions?

mikef

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a subject that is done to death very often. A check of the archives will give you tons of subject matter on this.

Briefly though:

100hz sets tend to show the faults of poor quality transmissions more than a 50hz set. Hence why 100hz sets often get blamed for what is really a poor quality transmission.

100hz sets look better further back than 50hz sets and 60hz sets look better close up.

100hz sets can reduce the picture quality more than 50hz when poorly set-up. High brightness, contrast and leaving Digtal enhancments turned on are the most common things.

If you can see flicker on 50hz sets or can hear 50hz sets whine, then 100hz sets are a godsend. If you suffer headaches or tiredness after watching 50hz sets, then 100hz sets will improve this.

Smearing was more common on older 100hz sets. It is less or almost non-existent on modern "decent" sets. Some of the brands have another mode for fast moving broadcasts (football, for example). You will still often see problems on the horizontal credits used on some programmes. The BBC, in particular, seem to run horizontal credits rather fast nowadays and 100hz sets don't like these.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mikef,

I totally agree with Doubledoom.

If you do a search for "KV28LS60", you will find my review of this set. No chance of smearing or anything like that by incorrect settings because it's a plain 100Hz set with no digital processing. :)

4. Mikef

Mikef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, I'l go hunting. I'm especuially interested now in the 'poorly set up' comment. On my current Sony set, I have the brightness slightly higher than the mid point, and the colour set low.

Thanks again

mikef