• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

100 dollar over the ear(On Ear) headphones that are very accurate?

HardOfListening

Standard Member
I don't care about heavy bass, I don't mind it if it does not offshoot the rest of the spectrum, I was browsing around and came across the Sennheiser HD 25-SP II at B&H, I like the way they look and they seem the perfect size...but how are they?

Are they accurate? Anything else I should look into?

Any help would be great :D

Phildick

Never heard them but they have a good reputation. Primarly for DJs.

You don't mention what you will be using them with? They might not go very loud with portable devices.

HardOfListening

Standard Member
Samsung Captivate using Neutron music player, this phone drives my SRH440 nicely though but they are to big and bulky for portable use sadly...I heard this phone drives headphones and it seems it does better then most portable players...they really took some care with the sound in this phone.

Drubbing

HD25 is one of the better Senn models and sounds very good, but it is a DJ phone. Not as bassy as you'd think, but accurate? That's more the realm of studio style phones, and higher prices.

The SP is a much cheaper version of the 25 and I've not heard that one, but can only assume - going on price - that it won't sound as good.

If by accurate, you actually mean balanced, as in clear and not overly bassy, then open backed phones are going to fit the bill better. But they're not much use for outside or public transport.

Last edited:

HardOfListening

Standard Member
Well I have a pair of Shure 440s that are very accurate to my ears if thats anything to go by but I want something a bit smaller.

Not sure if that helps any, yeah I hear the HD2 II are very nice but sadly way out of my price range...I do want closed ones though.

Last edited:

Drubbing

They're not what an engineer would call accurate, but they are very good sounding. I think you'll be hard pushed to find anything as good, only smaller. The only thing that comes to mind is Audio Technica ES7.

HardOfListening

Standard Member
They're not what an engineer would call accurate, but they are very good sounding. I think you'll be hard pushed to find anything as good, only smaller. The only thing that comes to mind is Audio Technica ES7.

I had the ES7 but the wires broke, so these are more like the ES7 then something like the Shure srh440 which is more accurate?

Drubbing

You still seem fixated on 'accurate'. Whatever that means to you, you're very unlikely to get something better than the 440 for $100.

HardOfListening

Standard Member
You still seem fixated on 'accurate'. Whatever that means to you, you're very unlikely to get something better than the 440 for $100.

Yeah, accurate, meaning that nothing over powers anything and I can hear the details well in my music, the ES7 was more of a fun sound, my 440's are to bulky sadly...love the sound though, guessing I can't get that kinda sound in a smaller size for 100 though. The reason I thought it was possible is because I got the 440's new for 70 dollars at J&R...which apparently was not a sale, thats there normal in store price.

Thanks for trying to help though. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom