100% disk usage when gaming (HDD)

adamona

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi.
3 months ago i build my first pc, and recently I've had some games freeze up and noticed when that happens my disk usage (HHD) goes to 100%. This only happens to games on my hard drive, primarily story games like GTA V and Mirrors Edge Catalyst (what I'm currently playing right now) as well as others. Games on my SSD run fine. I've tried every fix I can see including disabling windows search, SuperFetch, and I've checked the health of the hard drive. I bought everything new so the hard drive isn't even 3 months old yet, its not full, and its good heath. Its also not a ram issue as like I said I've reinstalled games to my SSD and they run fine, and i also have 24gb of ram installed (all of its available and working). Appreciate any help!

My specs:
Ryzen 5 2600
GeForce 1660ti (6gb)
24gb RAM
Gigabyte B450M DS3H
Western Digital 1tb HHD
Kingston 240gb SSD

You have got the answer, your HDD is too slow, the SSD is faster and works fine , you need to replace the HDD with a 1 or 2TB SSD or NVMe and use the HDD for storage of things like video etc or use it as a door stop :) I know its a new PC but I think it was bad advice to buy a HDD in 2021 for anything that isnt just storage for files.

You have got the answer, your HDD is too slow, the SSD is faster and works fine , you need to replace the HDD with a 1 or 2TB SSD or NVMe and use the HDD for storage of things like video etc or use it as a door stop :) I know its a new PC but I think it was bad advice to buy a HDD in 2021 for anything that isnt just storage for files.
Everyone I play with runs the same games I've had problems with fine on their hard drives, and this issue happens to games as old as total war rome 2 so the speed of a 7200rpm HDD shouldn't be an issue

Your right, although slower on HDD games work and shouldnt have freeze up issues. Maybe its something else that only affects the HDD, Can you change SATA sockets its using on the motherboard and/or the cable its on for another to see if it has any affect ? I am reaching here as to be honest I havent seen this type of problem before.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom