10 year old Samsung plasma stopped working. Any point in getting it fixed?

megaman123

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I have a 10 year old Samsung plasma 51" PN51D450A2D that has gotten heavy use over the years. Today we were watching it with my laptop hooked up by HDMI and the screen suddenly turned black, but audio continued to play.

I have unplugged it and left it for one minute, two hours, etc. and plugged back in and it would turn back on but still the same problem.

I have turned the room dark and used a flashlight to see if there's a faint image on the screen but there's not.

I have tried hooking up the laptop to the other HDMI port. I have changed the source multiple times and nothing.

I have pressed menu but it doesn't show up.

I have read that this could be a blown capacitor or something else. Regardless, is there any point in trying to get a 10 year old TV fixed? I have emailed a couple of local TV repair guys and await their reply, but in your opinion do you think there is any point in repairing it?

I have no problem keeping this TV around. I have a Samsung 58" as well that is 4 years newer but I'm just so used to this TV that I wouldn't mind keeping it.

Only you can decide if it's worthwhile getting it repaired.
You would to get it examined by a TV repairman and get an estimate then take it from there.

I spoke to a technician who said it's probably the Y board or something like that. He was on a cell phone and driving so it was hard to make everything out. He said that would be $230 (Canadian) and so not really worth it for a 10 year old plasma. He did ask me to bring it in though so it sounds like he's fairly convinced.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom