10 things I always wanted to know about Sky.

M

mk85

1) what is the difference in the connections behind the sky+ and normal sky boxes... ie to the plasma/amp.

eg svideo/component/scart/other

2) With Sky +, can i just record sky channels (ie sports/movies)..... or other channels as well. eg Zee TV (asian channel)

3) If i have sky+ - is there any use for my DVD recorder????

4) Dees the sky+ box output a better signal than normal sky box - ie for PQ and SQ.

5) Is it worth investing in a skY+/normal sky box that has component output (and how much do they costs)

6) If sky are fixing Sky + for me - can i request a specific box that outputs component and pay the difference between the standard and upgrade?

7) (less important, as not a HD fan) but do the Sky HD boxes have component output?

8) What are the best branded sky boxes in descending order???

9) Why do people slag of fthe quality of sky signal in general - it looks fine on my CRT display?

10) Is there anything good on tele tonight?

mk85 said:
1) what is the difference in the connections behind the sky+ and normal sky boxes... ie to the plasma/amp.

eg svideo/component/scart/other

2) With Sky +, can i just record sky channels (ie sports/movies)..... or other channels as well. eg Zee TV (asian channel)

3) If i have sky+ - is there any use for my DVD recorder????

4) Dees the sky+ box output a better signal than normal sky box - ie for PQ and SQ.

5) Is it worth investing in a skY+/normal sky box that has component output (and how much do they costs)

6) If sky are fixing Sky + for me - can i request a specific box that outputs component and pay the difference between the standard and upgrade?

7) (less important, as not a HD fan) but do the Sky HD boxes have component output?

8) What are the best branded sky boxes in descending order???

9) Why do people slag of fthe quality of sky signal in general - it looks fine on my CRT display?

10) Is there anything good on tele tonight?

Well here goes...

1) Sky + has S Video out and Optical audio out too.
2) You can record any channels that you subscribe to, and watch another at the same time too.
3) For making archive recordings to disk...that's about all you'll need it for.
4) PQ is the same sound is arguably better as you can use the digital out to an AV amp
5) No Sky / + box currently offers component out connections.
6) See 5) and Sky don't accept requests for brands of digibox...speak to the nice installer guy
7) The first Sky HD boxes will have component out
8) Pace, Thomson then Amstrad is the generally held view on the forums..my Pace is Ace.
9) The quality of Sky depends largely on what channel you are watching..some are very good, others very bad. CRT's tend to mask picture problems, larger high resolution displays show them in all their nastiness. Most people on the forums have high quality displays hence the negative comments on Sky PQ. Sky could improve it by increasing the bitrate of the broadcasts, but due to limited bandwidth would need to drop some channels..no great loss IMHO.
10) Is there ever???

Great stuff -

follow up q's/comments

1) Ie normal sky = no s-video? - also whats optical?
2) Excellent!
3) Excellent! - how long can i keep stuff on the sky+ box for?
4) digital out? is that related to the optcal stuff - from 1)?
5)Damn! - is it possible to buy them independently?
6)ok
7) If i get the HD box, but dont want HD channels - can I use the component connection for normal sky channels? (very hypothetical) and does sky HD have the 'Sky + feature)?
8) Damn! I have amstrad - but will try and bribe/tempt sky+ man for Pace.
9) Damn! I have a couple of asian channels - which sometimes are bad on CRT - will they be awful on 42" plasma.....?
10) Cant wait!!

1, Optical = digital audio, comes in two flavours Coax and Optical (Toslink)
3, Keep and playback the recordings as long as you subscribe or until you run out of space on hard drive.
4, Yes
5, There are NO Sky+ with component. Using a component connection with the Skys RGB signal is of no benefit.
7, In theory but why pay in excess £400 (who knows yet) for a HD box and not use for HD. Also they won't be available without an HD sub. initially anway. See 5. SkyHD boxes have Sky+ functionality.
8, If Amstrad works OK then fine, a lot of people don't like the Amstrad boxes but there are plenty of customers that have no problems with them.
9, If they already look bad on CRT, a 42" plasma will not improve the picture signal, possibly make it look worse.

Thanks!

Further follow up!

1) Presumably i'll have one s-video cable going to amp for picture and then a separate cable for sound?

If so what is a good cable for the sound. (going to Onkyo 600 amp)

3)Thanks

4)Thanks

5)Tell me more - are you saying the signal coming in is rgb/pal - therefore even if there was component connection it would make no difference????
if so, why do people tell me i need to get a convertor to convert the RGB to component - i'm getting confused.

7) Hypothetically - So that i wouldnt need to buy a RGB to component convertor or a sky+ box - and then i could get HD package in the future.
- [linked to point 5.] - PS i dont mind waiting for a bit!

8) thanks

9) thanks

1, if using an S-Video to your amp you would indeed need a seperate audio feed. Use the optical output. I cant recommend any particular cable but you won't have to go overboard.

5, Why do you think you need to convert an RGB signal to component? What is your display can't handle RGB correctly. A component convertor is really only benificial to displays that don't handle RGB very well, ie, older plasmas and displays without an RGB connection.

7, If the only reason you were thinking of SkyHD/Sky+ was to output a component signal then don't bother.

1) thanks

5)&7)

its not the only reason - I would like to record and see tv at the same time too. Also need sky in a digfferent room.

I am getting PWD8 therefore only has vga connection. Am going from amp to plasma with 3rca to vga cable.

I have been told that the rgb signal isnt good with the plasma.

And that component is best. Therefore i need to convert

Therefore if get the Sky HD, that solves all my problems - with the potential to get HD - if and when i'm ready

What do you think?

Older Panny plasmas and some Pioneers in the past have suffered with RGB signals, hence the need for a convertor but I'm sure the newer models, particularly the PWD8 is now OK. However, if you really don't want to buy a scart board have you thought about HDMI instead, the SkyHD box will also output SD via HDMI leaving you the option of using a component input for DVD for example. I'm not sure whether the component signal convertor in the Sky box will be better than a standalone box from JS Tech for example.

HDMI? every time i think i get a handle on the situation, something new comes along.

HDMI - potentially. But its the same principle. Get the box - avoid all the convertors.

Should i avoid getting the sky+ box and wait for HD box, and get HDMI card!

Do you know when the boxes are being released. What do you think the subscription price for HD will be.

I think you're choices are thus:

1, Get Sky+ and an RGB Scart board, I'm pretty sure you'll be OK but you'll have to talk to specifically PWD8 owners to make sure it handles RGB OK.

2, Get Sky+ and purchase an RGB to VGA convertor.

3, Get Sky+ and a component board and purchase an RGB to component convertor.

4, Wait for SkyHD, particularly when you can buy the box without a sub (a bit way off for now), buy an HDMI/component board and use Sky to output SD over HDMI/component.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

I think 4 is the best option. But that may take a while so i might just get sky +.

If only the HD box was coming out in the next couple of weeks....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom