1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 metre DVI

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by GRees, Aug 22, 2003.

1. GRees

GRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had to give up on my Hercules Radeon 9500 PRO because of random video noise on the screen when using a 10 metre DVI-D cable connected to a Yamaha DPX-1 DLP projector - it wasn't the individual card as I tried two others.

I know that the maximum recommended length for such a cable is 7.5 metres but it works perfectly OK when I use a friends PC which has got an NVidia graphics card.

I was considering a 9600 PRO but now I'm not so sure, after seeing my mates NVidia and having had the problems I've had with my 9500 I'm now thinking about an FX 5600 ( ASUS do one with active fan control - supposed to be very quiet ) but then there's the supposedly better picture with the Radeon's :confused:

I'm sure that there must be other people using 10 m DVI cables - if so what graphics card are they using?

Has anyone done direct comparisons between ATI and NVidia?

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I couldn't get a "sparkly free" picture with a 10m dvi from my 9500 non pro to my hs10. I ended up with a 7.5m cable and rerouting it.

With the hs10 you cannot use any of the older geforrce cards because they are not capabel of the custom resolution required via dvi even with powerstrip. I dont know what res your Yamaha runs at or if the situation has changed with the newer cards but beware.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,021
    I'm using 7.5m DVI with a 9600 non pro, and no image problems.

Do you have a shorter cable you can try just to see if it's the length that's the problem?

Gary.

4. GRees

GRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys - what a relief - I was starting to think that there was something more serious than 2.5m too much DVI cable. I've just double checked and I reckon I can lose the excess to get me down to 7.5m.

This puts me back on track for another Radeon ( I got rid of the 9500 PRO ). I play games a bit so I thought the 9600 PRO sounds good. I'd like one with a heatsink and after a quick scout around found the Saphire Atlantis 9600 PRO Ultimate reviewed - but can't find anywhere to buy it in the UK.

Any suggestions?

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  6. GRees

GRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers John, I'll go and have a look

7. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Tyan 9600 pro at ebuyer is currently £99 + vat.

http://***********/kzcb

Seems a pretty good buy to me.

Cheers
    Marc