10 MB to 30MB

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Broadband' started by eaglemmoomin, Jan 11, 2012.

1. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I'm thinking of upgrading from 10MB to 30MB. Now the standalone cost is 13.50 for 10MB and 18.50 for 30MB.

So on ringing VM I was told thats an extra 14 pounds sir!! I'm not sure where this logic is coming from. I know I currently get a loyalty discount as I've been with VM for 6 years and I have a bundled set of services. I was expecting to pay additional five to seven pounds. Seeing as I'm out of contract do I have to go through the rigmarole of threatening to leave just to avoid getting stung?

Worse than that they used to charge me near £24 for 10 MB when I first got it. So It appears that they would charge me on the old tier pricing structure while locking me in for probably 18 months.

Clearly I declined the price.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. djdhrubs

djdhrubs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,096
    can't you just do what I did and pay a fiver to go to 20MB, then wait for virginmedia to automatically increase their speed to all customers as they announced today in the news, and actually go from 20MB to 60MB?!

3. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    That was the thought!! Looking at the current prices 10MB to 30MB is £5 diff. I'll try ringing up and asking to go to 20MB instead!

4. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Ok so to go to 20MB was an extra £6:facepalm: and a 12 month contract but I can live with that.

Given the bump up to 60MB around the corner.

Still 10MB to 30MB is a £5 cost on the web site:rolleyes::suicide:

5. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    I thought 30mb was £28.50 without a VM phone line, £18.50 with one. (line rental £13.90 pm)

6. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Yes thats about right. The cost for 10mb is £13.50 with a VM phone line. Hence £5 difference and yet when I enquired it was £14 to from 10mb to 30mb (that was not including a £30 'activation' fee even though it was offered as a self install)!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  7. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Yep, i see the problem. I didn't know you had the phone line, and thought they were trying to put you on the £28.50 rate etc.
    I wonder how they came up with that weird figure.
    They seem so clueless at times, i do wonder how they are still in business!

Was there no way you could have got the upgrade on line?
    I only ask, because if i wanted to change from say 30mb to 50mb, i just pay the difference, and would even get the upgrade difference free for three months.
    Maybe the 10mb/20mb service is on an older network, and upgrading you to 30mb+ means having to physically move you. Maybe doing that destroyed your loyalty bonus/package etc.
    I think you also need the new superhub as well for 30mb+.

I just hope this doubling thing doesn't mess the current service.
    I went through hell to get connected. (over 90 days and numerous missed installs)
    But i must say i'm an very impressed indeed with my 30mb broadband connection/speeds.
    "Nailed on" over 30mb night and day. No drop outs/disconnections or Superhub problems......so far :rolleyes:
    If the new 60mb service is as good, i will be over the moon.
    The only thing i worry about, is reading other people having problems try to get reliable 30mb to 50mb upgrades.
    It just worries you when people having to downgrade just to get things working again...:rolleyes:

8. NJR73

NJR73
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

I had the same problem a month ago except i was quoted an extra £19 to upgrade from 10mb to 30mb (which is more than the £18.50 website charge!!)

The only reason I was given for the farce was that upgrading would lose me all my loyalty discounts!!! Joke.

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,365
    Isn't it the case that if you move on up to anything more than 20Mb then VM insist you use their SuperHub? If this is the case then they charge an activation fee, or they did when I was considering their so called free upgrade from 20 to 30 Mb about 12 months ago. I decided not to bother with the 30Mb upgrade and opted to upgrade to 50Mb instead because the superhub and activation were free with that package. What is the current situation with the move up to 30Mb, is an activation fee still charged by VM?

10. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I seem to remember going through all this palaver and if I remember correctly I had to change package to get it at the right price, simply upgrading was coming out much dearer.