10-bit Sky Q on Philips 50PUS6703 (UH021 error)

JauntyOne87

Hey all, hoping someone can help:

What am I doing wrong? I can't get 10-bit UHD to work on Sky Q.

I bought a brand new Philips 50PUS6703 UHD television last week, called Philips to check the Optimal 4K60 4:4:4 setup, then called the Sky customer service helpline. They sent a new 2m High Speed HDMI cable for me to test. I then bought a 1m HDMI Licensing Premium Certified cable with Ethernet to be 100% sure.

I’m still receiving an error message (UH021) after choosing ‘10-bit’ and ‘Find for me’ options in the UHD Audio Visual set up on my Sky Q silver 2TB box. This leads me to believe it’s a fault with the box/software. No problem with 8-bit (I’m watching Liverpool lose to Man City on Prem League UHD as we speak).

I’ve attached pics of my settings.

IMG_20190103_215114.jpg
IMG_20190103_212938.jpg
IMG_20190103_214407.jpg

MartinC2006

Standard Member
I've just bought this set as well.

Perhaps it's because it's not true 10 bit, 8 bit with frc? My sky q gives the same error.

M.

JauntyOne87

I've just bought this set as well.

Perhaps it's because it's not true 10 bit, 8 bit with frc? My sky q gives the same error.

M.
Someone else said this to me but I've seen on this forum that people with the same TV have gotten it to work by using an additional device like a cable extender or soundbar to passthrough. I don't have anything like that though. Also, I've contacted Philips and they've confirmed that it should work too. I'd be really disappointed if you are right. Perhaps you are.

So the part in the Optimal settings description that says '4K60 4:4:4, 4K60 10-bit HDR'... This is an over-exaggeration?

Last edited:

Discosteve76

Standard Member
I have the 6753 and have been wondering the same thing, got a Belkin 2.1 HDMI on order to see if that makes a difference, but i get the same error code with the Sky Cable and an Amazon basics one which arrived today - hopefully the Belkin may sort it.

Anyone come up with a solution i'd love to hear it, i've tried direct to the TV and via my Pioneer AV amp which has 4k passthrough

On a seperate issue has anyone got a problem with motion on this TV? i get really bad judder on Sky News, Sky Sports news and BBC News 24 on the ticker every few minutes on all picture settings - which is really infuriating, also happens on Sky Sports in UHD

JauntyOne87

I have the 6753 and have been wondering the same thing, got a Belkin 2.1 HDMI on order to see if that makes a difference, but i get the same error code with the Sky Cable and an Amazon basics one which arrived today - hopefully the Belkin may sort it.

Anyone come up with a solution i'd love to hear it, i've tried direct to the TV and via my Pioneer AV amp which has 4k passthrough

On a seperate issue has anyone got a problem with motion on this TV? i get really bad judder on Sky News, Sky Sports news and BBC News 24 on the ticker every few minutes on all picture settings - which is really infuriating, also happens on Sky Sports in UHD
Good luck with your investigation Steve. Do update us if you have any joy. I've been told the High Speed 2.0 cable that Sky provide is more than capable but I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't strictly true.

I too have notice significant juddering. This was very clear every time I went into the menu and scrolled down to the AudioVisual toggles. I've pretty much turned off all processing but I'm tempted to experiment with switching some back on to make things smoother. Hoping this can be rectified with a software update

RFCTommy

Novice Member
Hi everyone

I have just got a Philips 55PUS6803 and am having the same problem. Cannot get sky Q to work with 10bit mode only lets me use 8 bit. I have enabled the optimal mode on the HDMI port but this doesn't make any difference

This is the same if i connect directly to the TV or via my Marantz AVR, thought it might be because the TV is sold as 8+2 bit rather than full 10 Bit but it sounds like this should still work.

Was thinking about trying a new HDMI cable to see if that helps. Can anyone confirm if the 6703 or the 6803 will work in 10bit mode with SkyQ

Thanks

Discosteve76

Standard Member
Hi All

Slight update, returned my 6753 - i just couldnt live with the judder (AO were brilliant, thoroughly recommend them) and went for a 55" 6803 - still can't get 10bit Sky as the gent above stated, however my HDMI 2.1 Belkin haa finally landed today, so once the Missus goes to bed i'll get it in and see if the elusive 10bit wants to play.....

Impressed with the 6803 so far tho

Discosteve76

Standard Member
The Belkin cable made no difference to the Sky Q 8/10bit issue - granted i could reset the Sky box to do installation again, which may make a difference, but i doubt it - so dont go spending your money chaps!

RFCTommy

Novice Member
Thanks for the update

So what do we think then? Is it an issue with the Sky Q box not recognizing the TV properly? I have the newer v2 Sky Q box, so am wondering if the people that have got 10bit to work had the older V1 Sky Q box.

I might still run this past Philips support to see what they say

Have also been impressed with the 6803 so far, the picture is still not as i would like it so still tweaking the settings to get it looking spot on.

Thanks

Discosteve76

Standard Member
I did read somehwere that the 6803 could indeed be an 8bit with FRC which would explain the issue, googled display specification.

JauntyOne87

Found this on the Sky forums, sounds like a software issue between the TV and or Sky Q box. So unless a firmware release can fix this looks like it wont work with 10 bit

10-bit Sky Q on Philips 50PUS6703 (UH021 error) - Sky Community

If someone does have any luck with getting this to work let us know.

Cheers
Haha, I actually started that thread at the same time as this one. Still no real solution but ready to submit to Sky's current lack of 10-bit content.

Hoping a future firmware update can resolve this.

JauntyOne87

UPDATE: I have the fix/patch for this UH021 issue on Philips 6xx3 series displays. You can contact Philips support. Failing that, DM me

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom