1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 bit colour processing in plasma displays

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Victor04, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Victor04

Victor04
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Recently many plasma makers are claiming in their device the new 10 bit color processing granting 1.7 billion (1024 x 1024 x 1024 ) colours instead of the standard 16,7
    ( 256 x 256 x 256 ) million colours granted by the actual 8 bit technology.Pioneer, Hitachi, Fujitsu are among them in Europe and many other brands are ready to come from the States.
    Seem the the 8 bit technology is going to become obsolete very quickly!
    In my opinion the changment is not enough emphasized by the technical media as this new technology should in theory eliminate or at least reduce strongly the well known banding effect proper of plasma i.e. the difficulty of resolve smootly and gradually the color gradient an shade
    creating instead finite band of colours .
    This phenomenon is more evident in bigger dispay ( I own a new 60" LG plasma ).
    I woul like very much to hear comments on this particular issue from the experts and people who are having already such kind of display i.e :
    - doe's this technology really eliminate colours banding improving natural colours nuances ?
    - to be effective, the feed material must be also 10 bit processed as someone says ( seems untrue ) ?
    - what is your opinion on the issue ?

I will be lookink to hearing some competent comment.

Thank you vey much and best regards

Victor

2. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does seem to make a very noticable difference to me regardless of the feed source.
    I am probably going to sell my 8 bit (256 grey scale) Hitachi and go for a 1024 grey scale Pioneer as comparing the two side by side I see a very big difference in solarisation. The Pioneer is not perfect (perhaps we need 12 or more bits?) but it's noticably better than the Hitachi in this respect.
    BUT the one thing that bothers me now with the Pioneer is the 'clay-face' look of people in the picture - obviously 'digital' IMHO and nothing like as natural looking as the Hitachi with still images - the main solarisation problem seems to be when images are moving. I'm hoping that the one Pioneer MXE1 that I have seen so far was badly set up as far as digital image manipulation otherwise I would not be swapping the Hitachi solarisation problem for a Pioneer clay-face over enhanced digital look.... I'm very confused about this so I'm sitting on the fence until I have seen some more Pioneer sets in action...

3. Victor04

Victor04
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you AngriofMayfair for your experience!
    I am very interested in the 55" Hitachi 55HDM71 which, for now, is available only in USA and I think I will replace my 60" LG with this one as soon as it will be available in italy, if the viewing experience will be satisfactory.
    By . Victor