1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10-bit/54MHz Video D/A Converter - does it matter

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by neil malde, Mar 15, 2002.

1. neil malde

neil malde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there folks,

10-bit/54MHz Video D/A Converter - does it matter

I was just wondering if the amount of 'bit' and 'MHz' made any differ3ence to the play back of DVDs from vasrious DVD players. Any help from anyone would kindly be appreciated. Looking to spend about £300-500 on one with my sony 32" TV. Would appreciate an suggestions please...

Thank you
    Neil

2. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the 54MHz is just the frequency the picture is sampled at. This provides a sharper and less noise picture on DVD's.

I found this link from the Pioneer 747A which shows the improvement of a 108MHz DAC

http://www.pioneer.co.jp/dvdld/dousa.html

54MHz is similar!

Hope this helps!

3. neil malde

neil malde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So those that mean the pioneers picture quality will be better?

4. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any machine with a 54MHz or 108MHz sampling picture freq should in theory be better. It usually comes down the other quality differences in the players that make more difference!

Most new Pioneer's, Toshiba and Sony's have the 54MHz feature. More expensive players have a 12-Bit 108MHz Dac, which will furthur improve things.

Keep in mind though that the 54MHz frequency only applies to RGB and Component outputs (what i heard)

5. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The new Denon DVD A1 and Toshiba SD920E will have 14bit 108MHz DAC's.

DVD is only an 8 Bit system and the extra Bits just ensure (in an ideal world) true, clean 8 bit playback, similar in the way higher bit audio DAC's (18, 20, 24) are required to replay true 16 bit resolution from CD's etc.

Kane

PS I'm no expert, but there is loads of scientific reading out there that explains how and why it all works!