10-15m HMDI cable capable of 4k 60 HDR?

urichris

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing?

Wanting to connect my gaming PC (upstairs) to my OLED (living room) and it's not working as I would like using my Shield and GameStream.

Do both of your devices have the HDMI 2.1 chipsets? If not, you may be able to get away with an active cable (HDMI 2.0 options) from somewhere like Monoprice. If your devices have the HDMI 2.1 chipsets then a hybrid fiber cable from someone like Ruipro, Phoossno, or Cable Matters, ATC certified for the HDMI 2.1 option sets may work. 10-15m can be a bit of a challenge so your best bet, for any cable, is a single cable run, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between. Also be mindful of bend radius.

At the indicated length you should, as Otto highlights, be looking at a Fiber based solution.

The HDFury Hybrid Fiber cables have been very reliable and available at 20m and 10m.

The cables are directional and rely on power from the Source and Display so always test fully with your kit before you ‘install’ the cable.

If required you can add a low cost external 5v inserter to the cable run.

Joe

Thanks guys. I am looking for the simplest solution as I live in rented accommodation so my plan is to run the cable across the skirting board in the bedroom to the stairs, which lead to an open plan living room and from there down and over the door frame, along the skirting in the skirting board in the living room to the TV.

Do both of your devices have the HDMI 2.1 chipsets? If not, you may be able to get away with an active cable (HDMI 2.0 options) from somewhere like Monoprice. If your devices have the HDMI 2.1 chipsets then a hybrid fiber cable from someone like Ruipro, Phoossno, or Cable Matters, ATC certified for the HDMI 2.1 option sets may work. 10-15m can be a bit of a challenge so your best bet, for any cable, is a single cable run, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between. Also be mindful of bend radius.

2.0b will be fine for this as it's an RTX 2080 to a Phillips OLED 705.

The golden rule with long HDMI cables is be gentle with them, no sharp bends, no 'tacking' them down with anything which can crush/crimp the cable, no foot traffic over the cable, no constant plug/unplugging the cable and always connect up with power off on the connected devices.

Joe

So my continued research into this has brought me to HDMI over Ethernet. Specifically using an Ezcoo extender such as this;

Not seeing your link.

Solid core CAT6 (non-CCA/CCS) is no more flexible than a Fibre HDMI cable.

Any ‘extender’ technology means some form of image compression - extenders based on HDBT, specifically 3.0 get close to compression free but not latency free if gaming is your thing.

Joe

As ever the blurb reads well - you will need to run a suitable CAT cable and try it with your kit to see how it performs.

Every ‘over CAT’ solution claims ‘uncompressed’ until they bring out a new unit which is somehow even more uncompressed :)

An Extender may work for you but Hybrid Fibre is still preferable.

Joe

As ever the blurb reads well - you will need to run a suitable CAT cable and try it with your kit to see how it performs.

Every ‘over CAT’ solution claims ‘uncompressed’ until they bring out a new unit which is somehow even more uncompressed :)

An Extender may work for you but Hybrid Fibre is still preferable.

Joe

What I am wanting to do is quite simple, play my PC games sat on the sofa on the OLED.

I have an Nvidia Shield, and previously used to stream games via the built in Gamestream function. The PC were in the same room back then though so it was pretty stable.

I have about 15 metres to neatly run a cable, whether it be HDMI or ethernet, from my PC tower to the TV. I want 4K 60hz with HDR.

I have access to Cat 7 cable, and initially I was going to try and hardwire my Shield and PC to the router as the powerline adapters, while better than WiFi, still struggle at 4K60 HDR.

‘Over CAT’ or Hybrid Fibre will both ‘work’ - though the ‘over CAT’ option means some form of image processing and potential latency.

For ‘over CAT’ stick with solid core, non-CCA/CCS, CAT6 with a single unbroken cable run between the Tx and the Rx - no wall plates etc

Joe

I need a 12m cable (10 is not enough, 15 is too much) capable of 4K60Hz with BT.2020 but not HDR. My Panasonic DP-UB824 will convert HDR to SDR, but I'm not sure if it makes a difference for how much bandwidth is needed.

I had my eyes on a Supra cable, but depending on which site I visit I get conflicting information on how much the 12m one can handle. One site seems to say it can do what I need, while the other says that ends with the 10m version.

I'm not sold on optical cables. My friend uses one that runs extremely hot at the output end, so he actually has to use an icepack to keep it cool. I don't know anything about active cables, but I'm open for pretty much any suggestion. It needs to be "installable" along the ceiling and the wall in a cable tray with plenty of room.

Having supplied thousands of Hybid Fibre HDMI cables I’d say your friend should have his cable replaced - whilst the connector hoods in some designs can get warm to the touch it should not require ice packs.

Joe

Thank you for the link. I can probably try that one with no risk, but I'm open to other suggestions. Preferably in the under £150 category :)

I'll let my friend know that he's been bamboozled ;)

I ended up getting one off Amazon, simply for convenience. £43 for 15m fibre optic HDMI cable, 18GBPS 4K 60 HDR capable. Connected PC to TV. Ran the tests and I am getting 4K 60 and 10bit HDR, 4:2:2 chroma.

The 12m cable is £41 with the same specs.

I understand going the cheaper route may result in failure at an earlier stage. If it was for something like a home cinema set up, I would be more inclined to spend more on a recognised/certified cable. But for my needs it ticks all the boxes.

Feizlink Fibre Optic 15m cable.

I did try buying a cheapo on Amazon UK or DE a couple of months ago. Normal passive stuff. Didn't even pass along an image from the Oppo 103 :p

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom