10.1 netbook for travelling (£200-350)

boaty118

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

As the title implies, I'm heading off travelling this summer for two months and thinking about taking a netbook with me. I had ordered a lenovo s10-3 for £186 but dabs got their stock wrong and couldn't fulfill the order.

Size: 10.1
Weight: as light as possible
Ram: 2gb min
Hdd: 250
Battery: as long as possible
Processor: as best as possible

Probably the most important aspect is that the build quality is the best possible and very reliable!

Ideally i'd like to spend as little as possible but would rather get something quality rather than cheap and tacky.

Any ideas welcome...

cheers
Andy

I bought an Acer Aspire one 753, which is 11.6" rather than 10.1", but has better resolution, faster processor, Windows 7 Home Premium (rather than Starter), HDMI output (for hooking up to a TV if travelling) compared to the Atom-based 10.1" netbooks for little extra bulk.

My gf just bought one last week for £350 from amazon (3GB RAM, 320GB HDD), which is at the top of your budget range.

Worth hunting around for the Lenovo S10E. I still have a Gen 1 version, and it takes the knocks, has 7 hour battery life with the extended cells and seems very stable.

Fast ? No.
Annoyingly small screen ? Yes.

Would I part with it ? No. :)

Don't get an atom! Get an AMD fusion netbook, Scan are doing the new MSI U270 for £329.99! Faster than the current atoms, can playback 1080p content without breaking a sweat, higher screen resolution, USB3.0! Stellar battery performance, HDMI out.

Alternatively HP DM1 available on Amazon, personally I'd get the MSI for USB 3.0, slightly larger HDD and matte screen which is better if on the go!

Don't get an atom! Get an AMD fusion netbook, Scan are doing the new MSI U270 for £329.99! Faster than the current atoms, can playback 1080p content without breaking a sweat, higher screen resolution, USB3.0! Stellar battery performance, HDMI out.

Alternatively HP DM1 available on Amazon, personally I'd get the MSI for USB 3.0, slightly larger HDD and matte screen which is better if on the go!

I agree, for that price I would avoid the Atom processor as well if possible, as metnioned the HP DM1 would be good or (if you can find one) the 1810tz

Acer Aspire Timeline 1810TZ - 11.6in Intel CULV Laptop Laptop review - Trusted Reviews

Appologies for slow reply, had a mental week with exams. what's the battery life like of the MSI U270? also what are MSI like as a brand, never heard of them before.

MSI make components, such as motherboards and GPUs and there pretty good build quality

i came across the lenovo thinkpad edge 11 earlier on and it seems to exactly what i want and need. it would mean going over my target budget but feel it would be worth it. Do you reckon if i upgraded it to the 4gb ram version it would be able to handle football manager? this is the ultimate decider on whether to get it ;-)

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/gbweb/LenovoPortal/en_GB/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=FD6DB49790C7411D933567FC361231FB&current-category-id=36D7FE45F5752CC524E8215D9DF3CB51

Last edited:
I bought an Acer Aspire one 753, which is 11.6" rather than 10.1", but has better resolution, faster processor, Windows 7 Home Premium (rather than Starter), HDMI output (for hooking up to a TV if travelling) compared to the Atom-based 10.1" netbooks for little extra bulk.

My gf just bought one last week for £350 from amazon (3GB RAM, 320GB HDD), which is at the top of your budget range.

got mine via your recommendation 360 pounds costco 4gb ram 500gb hard drive
and was so worried it wouldnt be able to handle what i wanted mainly football manager 2011 and all i can say is WOW it works amazingly SOO happy, amazing little machine thanks lmccauley!

i came across the lenovo thinkpad edge 11 earlier on and it seems to exactly what i want and need. it would mean going over my target budget but feel it would be worth it. Do you reckon if i upgraded it to the 4gb ram version it would be able to handle football manager? this is the ultimate decider on whether to get it ;-)

Lenovo - Laptop computers - ThinkPad Edge Series - ThinkPad Edge 13" (Intel model) - United Kingdom (GB)

Not sure about football manager :)

Dont forget the lenovo cashback promotions:

https://www.lenovo-promotions.com/notebook

At the moment there is a £100 cashback offer if buying certain edge 11 or 13 and the USB DVD drive mentioned in the offer ( about £55) so that a free DVD drive and about £45 back :)

got mine via your recommendation 360 pounds costco 4gb ram 500gb hard drive
and was so worried it wouldnt be able to handle what i wanted mainly football manager 2011 and all i can say is WOW it works amazingly SOO happy, amazing little machine thanks lmccauley!

I'm relieved that you're happy. I'm always a little nervous recommending items, as what I think is good might only rate an OK with someone else. :thumbsup:

honestly im over the moon with the machine its awesome! thanks so much

Update - Ended up plumping for the lenovo edge 11, upgraded to the ram to 4gb and the hardrive to 320. between 1-2week shipping so will let you know how i get on once i get it going. with my last exam of uni for good tomorrow i have a feeling i'll have plenty of spare time to play round with it.

andyfell said:
Update - Ended up plumping for the lenovo edge 11, upgraded to the ram to 4gb and the hardrive to 320. between 1-2week shipping so will let you know how i get on once i get it going. with my last exam of uni for good tomorrow i have a feeling i'll have plenty of spare time to play round with it.

Let us know how it is.

Ive bought the HP DM1 got it from comet
Was looking looking at samsung atom 10.1 netbook
But I noticed the 11.6 netbook much nicer to use and the DM1 plays back 1080p no problem

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom