1 year old & illness

bluevortex

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Nothing to serious just concerned with my youngest just reached 1 year old on 18th Dec and Xmas eve came down with hand, foot & mouth disease. The GP stresses this quite common in under 5's but I confess I'd not heard of it (not to be confused with foot & mouth in animals). Basically, poor wee fella has had a fever, swelling/spots/sores around his face, hands and bottom along with common cold symptoms. This has put a downer on Xmas since he has been clingy and very restless during the night.

Recently, he's also suffered croup and other more common colds etc one after another. My wife and I are finding this difficult since our eldest (4) sailed through baby stage relatively healthy and there seems to be quite a stark difference between them. I guess it's just the way of it but we're both feeling for him just now, horrible as a parent seeing your kiddy so miserable. Still he's a resilient little thing sure hell bounce back again before long

Blue

Had all of that with my 3, not all 3 got all of those aliments but between the 3 we've gone through all of those at varying levels. Chicken pox is something to look forward to, #1 child had mild symptoms and few spots, #2 child got it bad and it knocked her out for a few days and #3 child sailed through it.

Wait till they start bring home bugs from nursery and school, such fun !!!

Generic brand liquid paracetamol (or Calpol if you want to pay 2 or 3 time as much) got mine through the night when they were at their worst.

Hi mate, weirdly I had this myself after a kid's party last year. Never had childhood illnesses being brought up middle of nowhere.

Nausea, then horrible fever (probably while little one cuddly) then sore mouth then loads of blisters. I had it bad and lost a load of finger / toe nails 3 months later. Worst of it was over after 4 days, didn't miss any work, wore gloves for a week after so blisters didn't infect my kids.

Hope that helps.
Ro.

Some kids just pick up everything, while others seem to have a natural immunity that defies pretty much all known diseases!

My eldest never has anything serious, and takes very little time off school with illness, while her little sister gets more ear infections, colds, coughs and viruses than anybody else we know.

We have been assured it is not a sign of any underlying health issues, and as she grows up, she will build better immunity and will grow out of the ear problem - that causes most of the infections in the first place.

Make sure you wash all soft toys and comforters regularly, as these can harbour and transport quite a lot of nasties and try to instil good hygiene, like always washing hands after the toilet etc. as this is another common cross infection point.

Every child is different, if you are worried about things you could always speak to a health visitor they are great for reassurance. In the mean time lots of cuddles and drinking lots of water.

Health vistitors? What a waste of space they are!!

Anyway, my daughter had hand foot and mouth. Most kids get it, Especially if they goto nursery

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom