• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

1 Year Guarantee Enough???

B

Bluud

What are the chances of a LCD going wrong after 1 year? John Lewis guarantee is nice, but their TVs are expensive even if pricematching.

I dont know too much about LCD technology in the long term, but I assume that any manufacturing fault is going to show up within a year. Am I completely wrong? :confused:

richjthorpe

How long's a piece of string ?

With CRT, I know the basis is that if it doesn't go wrong in the first year, then it'll be safe for another 4 years. LCD is such a new technology in terms of TV (I know they;ve been around for ages on PCs) that no one knows if they will break in the first, second or third year.

I got a good deal pricematching with JL. Got my 32GA3 for £1350 from £1795 (Actually got it for £1300 because they c*cked up big time, but the pricematch was £1350). Are you looking at the Philips 9976 ? JL have it for £1999 but the web says £1500. You may be able to get a pricematch around £1600.

Richie.

madcyril

how can JL be expensive even if pricematching,plus check the price of 5yr warrantys.The JL warranty is worth its weight in gold,your lcd faulters after 4yrs they come to you home,take away and repair or replace,no questions.Most other warranties are also RTB after 12months.

B

Bluud

they dont pricematch online prices, which means my TV is going to cost a couple hundred pounds more. I was just wondering if the warranty was worth it. Seems as though its pretty necessary.

woody67

There is no such thing as a one year guarantee anymore in this context. In determining any statutory guarantee period, major houshold items like these are judged on how long they are expected to last, and their purchase cost.

Your supplier would most likley to have some liability for a few years after the initial year

madcyril

If the website has a store and online price is the same as instore they will with w bit of perserverance match the price as I and many other members have done.Try phoning around the JL branches and ask the undersales for their price then get your local JL to match.If you get a decent price plus that warranty its well worth it.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom