1 week update

D

dixiemax

Hi,

I joined these forums just over a week ago simply to get some info when I was cluelessly only trying to hook some speakers to TV (unsuccessfully). Anyway in just a short time i now have progressed to amplifier, 2 better speakers and hopefully tomorrow a matching centre speaker, and perhaps a sub. Now I've just gone and bought a couple of Hi Fi mags instead of FHM.....have I caught something? do I need help? Is there a cure?

Regards, dixie

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
You're in trouble mate.
You're in the early stages of upgradeitis.
There is no known cure.
Good side = it is not fatal.
Downside = You will lose loads of weight, but only in the wallet.
:D

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
.....have I caught something? do I need help? Is there a cure?
Yes there is.:)

Once you've bought the front three speakers, start looking at surrounds, get confused by the various configuerations on offer, end up buying surrounds and worry a little about what you have chosen. Start reading about subwoofers, decide on a budget. Double it. See your first projector. Want one. Sell kidney to make it possible. After 6 months, notice new screen/projector/speaker/sub/cable/EQ technology on the horizon and be prepared to want it and continue on the upward spiral of upgrades toward AV nirvana. Change forum name to Recruit.

Silly!! AV is the cure! You've just found out you had the disease, but didn't know it.:eek:

Russell

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
:D

decide on a budget. Double it.

This is the main symptom :eek:

Change forum name to Recruit. :rotfl:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Oi :mad:

I never started that line. :lesson:

But I know what you mean ;) :(

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
Indeed I jest. It's just the steepness of the expenditure curve that varies with time.

My initial purchase of 36" CRT, Denon 2800 II, Denon 3802 and Kef Egg package was, IIRC, about £5k and it utterly rocked. In fact the 36" CRT inspite of being standard definition, is still way better than the 32" LCD I replaced it with and I don't care how many awards the LCD won.

To get to where I am now, via upgrades, is more like £15k and I've loved every step of the way. The most annoying thing about this hobby is that unlike mature technology, like stereo CD replay, is that it devalues quicker than you can spend it.

£3.5k projector now worth £1k tops. 18 months between the two, and the rate, as far as I can tell is accelerating. If I'd just dropped £5k on a Sony Pearl, I could be very upset 8 or 9 minutes from now!

I jest again, the important thing is, if you're going to drop some coin on a component, make sure it's the best one at the time you can afford without over stretching and don't wait for the one that's 'JUST AROUND THE CORNER'!

The difference won't be that large and you'll have missed a couple of months, or more, of pure enjoyment. My one rule would be if you are getting itchy to spend in November, wait 'til the new year when the latest generation of gear generally hits slightly below it's MRP. At least then you'll get agood 8 months before the tales of 'upgrade' kit will start to surface for real.

Russell