1 taken today And another untouched

icemanonline

Distinguished Member
This was taken today with Sigma 70-300APO after a wee bit of non use since getting it (Not been well) so got out today a little and this was the best of a few...........still learning though.

Crop, brightened a little then changed to B&W and added a wee 3D border.

I like it hope you all do too......:)

DSC_0025togo.jpg

icemanonline

Brammers

Banned
Fill light!!!

You really need to brighten up the swan's head. I see you're in pattern metering mode - in this mode the metering looks at everything in the scene. It's going to look at the bright white swan and assume that this is what it should base its exposure on. Unfortunately it's incorrect in this case - it wants another stop of exposure to brighten the face. You therefore need to give it +1 or maybe even +1.5 exposure compensation. Another option is to fire fill-flash at its head.

You could also brighten it in PP - my method of preference would be with the dodge tool.

A polariser might be good on the water too - there's a lot of strange reflections, they'd be cut out and you'd have a lovely backdrop.

Finally, the composition is a bit 'wierd' - the swan is shunted to the top of the frame to make room for the reflection. I'm not quite sure what I'd do in place but it looks odd to me - can you crop it differently and see what works?

On the plus side - lovely B&W conversion and great sharpness. I also like the white feathers floating about. Good effort :)

icemanonline

Distinguished Member
Fill light!!!

You really need to brighten up the swan's head. I see you're in pattern metering mode - in this mode the metering looks at everything in the scene. It's going to look at the bright white swan and assume that this is what it should base its exposure on. Unfortunately it's incorrect in this case - it wants another stop of exposure to brighten the face. You therefore need to give it +1 or maybe even +1.5 exposure compensation. Another option is to fire fill-flash at its head.

You could also brighten it in PP - my method of preference would be with the dodge tool.

A polariser might be good on the water too - there's a lot of strange reflections, they'd be cut out and you'd have a lovely backdrop.

Finally, the composition is a bit 'wierd' - the swan is shunted to the top of the frame to make room for the reflection. I'm not quite sure what I'd do in place but it looks odd to me - can you crop it differently and see what works?

On the plus side - lovely B&W conversion and great sharpness. I also like the white feathers floating about. Good effort :)

Points taken :smashin:

Still learning though and I did chop most of that picture up to get the swan and refections as is.

Finally, the composition is a bit 'wierd' Mmmmmm.....Bit weird? [Thx for that comment but I wouldn't call it weird...... I like it!

As for the exposure.....I agree. But It does look ok on this laptop.

Thanks 4 the feedback though.....U learn something new everyday!! :lesson:

icemanonline

Brammers

Banned
Bit wierd...

Because I don't really know how to describe it. Just one of those aesthetic things that probably varies from person to person. I see what you're doing, you're keeping space over both of his heads, but it leaves a massive empty space in the bottom right corner.

icemanonline

Distinguished Member
Bit wierd...

Because I don't really know how to describe it. Just one of those aesthetic things that probably varies from person to person. I see what you're doing, you're keeping space over both of his heads, but it leaves a massive empty space in the bottom right corner.

Thx......I just posted another!! Comments? :rotfl:

senu

Distinguished Member
As it happens , I rather like this second image : is it from the Sigma as well.. Hand held ??

It seems perfect to me the way it is TBH, no editing needed:thumbsup:

PS: The 3D border in the first was rather nice:

Well done;)

icemanonline

Distinguished Member
As it happens , I rather like this second image : is it from the Sigma as well.. Hand held ??

It seems perfect to me the way it is TBH, no editing needed:thumbsup:

PS: The 3D border in the first was rather nice:

Well done;)

Thanks Senu,

It was the Sigma and yes handheld. That is a nice 3D border.......Yip :smashin:

icemanonline

denno75uk

Bit wierd...

I think I see what Brammers means. The swan is very bright against the reflection. If the reflection were stronger then the bottom half would look more purposeful. I guess it's just a taste thing. I really like the contrast on the swans neck. In BW it works beautifully.

I agree with senu on the second. I also like the water dribbling from the beaks (ooh err!). I think it helps bring it to life. Almost like a visual soundtrack. You can 'hear' the scene.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom