1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 rear spkr louder on Yamaha DSP A5

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BigAl, Oct 1, 2001.

Tags:
  1. BigAl

BigAl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone shed any light on this?

I recently added Mission 700s to my system, as rears. While testing them and playing about, I noticed that one is playing louder than the other. I have checked all connections etc and have found that which ever speaker is connected to the rear-right socket is louder.

Is my Amp faulty and what can I do?

The amp is still under garauntee but I don't fancy the hassle of having to return it to the shop.

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If it's not much difference then just adjust the right speaker to 1db louder than the left.

Did you measure the volume with a SPL meter ? It could be that some frequencies are getting absorbed by furniture etc, or 1 of the speakers is getting frequencies reinforced by a wall.

If it's not much difference I'd say don't worry about it, it's probably down to positioning.

3. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Just to add to Slingshot's advice, if your cable runs are different lengths for the rear speakers, you may find that this accounts for differences in volume levels (pre adjustment).

I have found that this was the cause of a similar problem. In my case, although it would have been best to have exactly the same cable length, one ended up being 12 meters and the other about 13.5 meters but it wasn't worth unravelling it at the time because the amp compensated for the different levels.

Good luck.

[ 01-10-2001: Message edited by: bh ]</p>

4. BigAl

BigAl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for feedback.

When, I swapped the speaker wires it was which ever speaker that was wired to the right-rear output that was quieter. This discounts the positioning and wire length theories. Don't have an SPL meter so can't test that.

Any other thoughts?

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes, I have heard some rumour that this effects several Yamaha amps. Seems to be a design flaw.
    I hope you have not activated any DSP mode, then it may actually be intentionally!

Balance the volume for all channels with a SPL meter and problem solved.