1 pound a minute to fix broadband!!!

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by ben2579, Apr 23, 2007.

1. ben2579

ben2579

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    having just had virgin media installed tv, phone, broadband and V+ and being so pleased i am now on the verge of cancellation. i have been unable to get online for the last hour. i called the helpline for broadband and was told that i should call an 0906 number for 1 pound a minute to get help with this problem. having been on hold for 10mins i can't imagine how much that was going to cost. i was then cut off when i tried to be put through to customer services.

i am realistic and realise that customer services in big companies is bad but this seems excessively poor.

so i need to know if this is a common problem with their service? are there times when you can't get on line.
    Does anyone know of any other numbers to get help on?
    Or are things just suffering under the wait of excessive demand? sorry to moan.

2. WGLOVER

WGLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    As we are subscribing for a service, surely this support should be free.

If the same happens to me, I will be cancelling.

3. Big Bert

Big Bert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    ben2579,
    I've been a customer of Telewest, Blueyonder and now Virgin Media for telephone TV & Broadband. The support number that I have always used is 150 and is a free number for the service.

Gordon

4. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    The 0906 number is probably the one for "PC Help"-AFAIK it is an old part of Telewest,which basically deals with actual pc problems as opposed to issues with the BB connection.It is worth remembering that any "premium"number will never keep you on hold and charge you for it-you wont get charged till you get through to someone;but I admit that is not much of a consolation when you are just trying to get online.

Personally I would try calling 150 again just in case the person you spoke to last time was a little to keen to blame it on your pc;)

What was the problem just in case we can help?

5. zico martin

zico martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ive been an NTL broadband customer for many years now and on the few occasions Ive had a problem with my broadband, unless it is a global problem I have had to speak to technical support which has indeed cost £1 per minute. disgraceful but then as it wasnt their fault that it wasnt working ( generally a software or set up problem) I guess they can do that!

6. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly if its a fault with their service or equipment then 151 is the right number and there is no charge.. It helps if you run Broadband Medic diagnostic before you ring. I have only had one service problem in last 2 years and it was a fault at the box in the street. Engineer came same day and fixed it - no cost to me. If however you want them to help you with set up of your computer then yes it is an 09 number but its 50p a minute not £1. They can usually tell if its their problem by the configuration of the lights on the modem.
    Software set up help is always charged in my experience - HP/Compaq and Dell all use premium rate lines for this. I do not find it disgraceful as they are helping you with a problem that is not theirs. At £30 per hour its cheaper than a garage mechanic!

I also notice some new help/diagnostic downloads on the virgin website.

7. ben2579

ben2579

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    thankyou everyone, eventually used 150 number and got through to someone who was more helpful. he came up with the highly technical solution: just turn it off and then turn it on again, the modem that is. the problem was not being able to acess any web pages and just getting the good old web page off line notice. he seemed to expalin it by blaming the modem and told me to only use it when the ready and sync light were permantly on. is this normal or perphaps a faulty modem. we will have to see how these problems unfold over the next month.

thanks again, (the irony was i could not actually get on line to see all the responses.)

8. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    No idea what you are talking about-the only premium number NTL have ever had was for registered customers of their dial up service about 5 years ago!NTL have never charged a premium rate for BB tech support,you are talking absolute nonsense:nono:

Gotta love it when people moan about made up problems:rotfl:

9. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    So just rebooting the modem fixed it?If that is the case and the original person you spoke to advised you to call the PC Help line they were out of order.Rebooting the modem is the bog standard first thing to try and to advise you to call the premium number without even trying that is pretty crap TBH.I suppose that just goes to show that it depends who you speak to on the end of the line.

10. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said earlier there is a premium rate support number but it is for PC etc if the problem is beyond their equipment (i.e.after the modem)

seehttp://www.virginmedia.com/contact/contact1.php?category=portal&app=contact

11. Saviola

Saviola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    When I was away the missus had an issue with our BB, she rang a random number as was instantly told the freephone number. They went on to tell her that they have no high cost numbers (not sure I believe that though).

Fixed her issue in minutes. I never ring them I just fix i myself ;)

12. karl.g

karl.g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I find most of the problems with BB are usually fixed by pulling the power to reset either the modem or my wireless distributor.

Also try and avoid any of these premium numbers. Look at the say no to 0870 site and others for the non tarrif numbers.

13. ben2579

ben2579

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    ok so, problems persisted and have now been diagnosed with a weak signal, severley limiting the speed and access. an engineer has been booked for next week. i hope this does not mean the cable needs to be replaced in my house. no more mention has been made of the premium rate number but it is definatley out there and i strongly suspect it is for problems with your PC and equipment not covered by virgin. i can only imagine that the first person mis understood my problem. thanks for all the help

14. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See my post and link no10 above,

15. geekydaz

geekydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    As Mr Jason B says, the number you were given was for PC Help -0906 991 0001 which Virgin Media will refer you to if it's outside their boundaries of their support.

Sounds like you'e suffering from packet loss to the cable modem which normally can be dealt with by the faults engineer without resorting to having an installs crew come back to repull the cable.

16. ben2579

ben2579

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Conculsion,

engineer came out today and increased the signal strength by cutting out an old splitter. apparantly our cable is about 10 years old. anyway we are well within parameters now. the next step is to replace the cable to the house if that does not work.

we shall see

17. Mudry

Mudry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im surprised that the engineer doing the original install didnt check the signal strength as part of the install.

I suffered years ago with poor signal strength during early evenings which knocked out my modem. NTL would only ever send engineer during the day when everything was fine. Eventually they replaced the cable up the street with a thicker one and everything worked fine.