1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 PC to serve 2 monitors, in different rooms. Advice please!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Triggaaar, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    I'm wanting to be able to use a PC on a monitor in my study, or on the Plasma in the living room, for general things like the internet, word etc. The rooms are 15 - 20m apart.

Is it possible for 1 PC in the middle to do the job, with long leads to the monitors (not sure what length VGA leads you can get, or if you can convert to cat5 and back) and radio keyboard and mouse to receivers (on extended USB cables)?

If it is possible, I appreciate that there would be some expense setting it up, but the alternative would be 2 PCs, which both need looking after (loading latest drivers etc) and both need upgrading (new anti virus software yearly, operating system and hardware every few years).

Many thanks for any advice.

PS - do the cheap PCs (£300 + vat) you get from the likes of dabs come with a disk to reload XP should you need to?

2. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the Belkin Cat5 KVM extender. This uses cat5 to link 2 black boxes which provides 2 x video, keyboard and mouse connections at anything upto 500ft apart. Its not cheap though - about £250 for the two boxes - but works fantastically.

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    No, not cheap, but cheaper than a seperete PC, and saves on new software every year or two, and easier to maintain. So...

could you explain how it works?
    Is that to extend just 1 Keyboard, Video and Mouse for 1 PC?
    Does 1 black box stay with the PC, and the other with the monitor, keyb & mouse?
    If you wanted to use 2 monitors, would you use 3 black boxes?

Thanks

Any other methods?

4. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at the belkin site for more details (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd...aring/Omniview...Switches/OmniView™Extenders/) but roughly:

Plug one unit (with the supplied cables) into the PC's monitor, keyboard & mouse connections. Plug the local monitor, mouse and keyboard into the local black box. Run a cat5 cable between the two black boxes (siting one near to your plasma). Plug another keyboard, mouse and VGA cable to your plasma. Hey presto - either end can control the PC.

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    That's a pretty clear explanation, thanks.

If I wanted to use radio wave keyboard and mouse for the living room, I assume they can be plugged into the local black box just as easily as they could to the PC - is that correct, ie, the local black box has the same VGA/Keyb/Mouse sockets as a PC?

Sounds ideal really, thanks.

6. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, they are the standard PS/2 ports for keyboard/mouse. HOWEVER most radio mice/keyboards now use USB so I would check first. I was going to use the Gyration mouse/keyboard (very small keyboard with over 5 meters reach via radio and mouse that works in the air - perfect for plasma) but this requires USB connection.

7. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Excellent - thanks for all this, looks like it's going to be perfect. $250 online (+import & shipping) which at todays rate is great.

If I understand correctly, I'll stick the PC under the stairs, put the remote black box in the study (15m away or so), connect the local black box to the plasma via a long VGA cable (I think you can do 7m ok), and ignore the local black box keyb/mouse connectors, instead using the PCs USB connection for radio mouse/keyb.

Not sure if the remote mouse/keyb software would require you to select between the std PS/2 ports & USB each time, or if both always work.

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just be careful about ventilation. :)

9. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    I have no idea how much ventilation it needs. There's a normal under stairs amount of space (probably as time goes on, I'd get more complacent, and fill it with junk). I'll use std fans for cooling, but will have a couple of large HD drives. What sort of checks can I do to ensure it's not too hot?