1 or 2 subs?

I have a Denon X6200W - I drive a 5.1.2 KEF R series speaker system. The Denon AVRs have plenty of power and I drive the front R300 speakers without sub-woofers engage for music. All my music is Flac based (at least 16 bit, 44.1 kHz) played from a computer. I use an external DAC (AudioQuest DragonFly).

But I'm toying with the idea of getting a separate amplifier for two channel audio - I think it will make quite a difference for music. I still want to be able to use the Denon X6200W for movies/surround sound, but then just drive the front speakers from a separate amplifier for music. I'm thinking about the 'Sprout100' integrated amplifier with DAC from PS Audio, but there's very few dealers on this side of the Atlantic that stock it.

But I'll need a solution to for switching my front speakers between two amplifiers...

Regards,
James.

@gibbsy has same speakers and receiver with you plus stereo amplifier. Maybe he has some ideas for you plus share some experience. :)

I’ve bought two Cambridge audio topaz am5 stereo amps that I am going to use to power the 4 Atmos speakers, leaving the Denon to power the fronts and satellites.
(Yes I know the amp runs 9 channels but this will lighten the load on the Amp by only using 7 channels)
I don’t foresee myself really doing any music listening to be honest, it’s going to be a movie room first and foremost. Then sports and gaming.
Well that’s how I am going to set it up and then once the speakers have been run in a bit I might try and see what it sounds like with the fronts connected to the amps instead

I have a Denon X6200W - I drive a 5.1.2 KEF R series speaker system. The Denon AVRs have plenty of power and I drive the front R300 speakers without sub-woofers engage for music. All my music is Flac based (at least 16 bit, 44.1 kHz) played from a computer. I use an external DAC (AudioQuest DragonFly).

But I'm toying with the idea of getting a separate amplifier for two channel audio - I think it will make quite a difference for music. I still want to be able to use the Denon X6200W for movies/surround sound, but then just drive the front speakers from a separate amplifier for music. I'm thinking about the 'Sprout100' integrated amplifier with DAC from PS Audio, but there's very few dealers on this side of the Atlantic that stock it.

But I'll need a solution to for switching my front speakers between two amplifiers...

Regards,
James.
I use a Rega Elicit-R to drive the front R300s using it's HT by-pass function to integrate into the 5.1.2 system with my Denon 6200. If you don't want to use the sub for music the Elicit has a terrific controlled bass with the 300s. Notes are notes, beginning and ending, fast and agile. Absolutely love the combination of Elicit and 300s for music. The Elicit also shines on the control of the shrill highs of Joni Mitchell.

As for using with the 6200 for movies it's a simple connection via the front pre-outs. All you have to do is connect with the Elicit's dedicated direct RCA inputs and engage it from the direct button on the remote. Works beautifully.

No DAC in the Elicit and I only use my Marantz SACD player for music.

Are there any budget amps with HT pass-through? I'm thinking I'll probably get a cheapo amp to begin with for two of the atmos speakers then consider upgrading for something more serious in future if I find myself listening to more music.

Regarding the original question, I'll probably go for one better sub right now and prioritise the placement for my own seating position (if I can) as the rest of the family don't care as much about AV quality. I'd think it would be better to get the one decent sub and get a second matching one down the line if you feel like you need to. If it was a dedicated HT with lots of seating options then maybe it'd be a different matter.
I'll probably go for a BK Mono or p12-300sb-pr.

@Jeek, for Atmos duties you can buy a small power amp, like a Rotel RBsomething or similar - you can find them cheap in classifieds or ebay.

Are there any budget amps with HT pass-through? I'm thinking I'll probably get a cheapo amp to begin with for two of the atmos speakers then consider upgrading for something more serious in future if I find myself listening to more music.

Regarding the original question, I'll probably go for one better sub right now and prioritise the placement for my own seating position (if I can) as the rest of the family don't care as much about AV quality. I'd think it would be better to get the one decent sub and get a second matching one down the line if you feel like you need to. If it was a dedicated HT with lots of seating options then maybe it'd be a different matter.
I'll probably go for a BK Mono or p12-300sb-pr.
Unfortunately no. They start around the £1000 mark. Cheapest is probably the Marantz PM8006 and Naim Nait 5si.

I use a Rega Elicit-R to drive the front R300s using it's HT by-pass function to integrate into the 5.1.2 system with my Denon 6200. If you don't want to use the sub for music the Elicit has a terrific controlled bass with the 300s. Notes are notes, beginning and ending, fast and agile. Absolutely love the combination of Elicit and 300s for music. The Elicit also shines on the control of the shrill highs of Joni Mitchell.

As for using with the 6200 for movies it's a simple connection via the front pre-outs. All you have to do is connect with the Elicit's dedicated direct RCA inputs and engage it from the direct button on the remote. Works beautifully.

Sounds like you have already done, exactly what I'm pondering with the same Denon AVR and KEF speakers. I know this is a very subjective question, but how much of an improvement in stereo audio fidelity does the Rega give you compared with just driving your R300's from the Denon?

My R300s are already a massive step up from by old KEF Q series (so much extra detail), and the addition of the external DAC improved things again (although not by a huge margin). The
KEF R series speakers have really ignited my passion for stereo music.

An amplifier with HT bypass is clearly the way to go.

Regards,
James.

Sounds like you have already done, exactly what I'm pondering with the same Denon AVR and KEF speakers. I know this is a very subjective question, but how much of an improvement in stereo audio fidelity does the Rega give you compared with just driving your R300's from the Denon?

My R300s are already a massive step up from by old KEF Q series (so much extra detail), and the addition of the external DAC improved things again (although not by a huge margin). The
KEF R series speakers have really ignited my passion for stereo music.

An amplifier with HT bypass is clearly the way to go.

Regards,
James.
The Rega breathed new life, musically, into the R300s and showed just how they are when given plenty of quality power. The 5.1.2 has also benefitted with the 300s having a wider soundstage and the remaing speakers attached to the 6200 being given a bigger share of the power.

With music it's a big improvement.

Back in my DVD and 5.1 days, I used Sony satellite speakers and their sub, I also had two Yamaha subs. So, I ran the Sony sub and one Yamaha sub from the amp, as it had two sub outs, then I daisy chained the other Yamaha sub from the first Yamaha sub. I didn't often run all three, but did on occasions.

I've now got the amp, two of the satellite speakers, the Sony sub and one Yamaha sub set up to use with my Technics and Pioneer DJ kit.

Hi. I think that the idea of adding second sub is great.I have very similar setup with 683 front towers, 707 surrounds and MA Bronze center at this moment plus great Cambridge Audio Aero 9 twin cone active/passive sub Cambridge Audio AERO 9 (Black)
I have demoed different ones from B&W ,Kef and Rel and honestly I can say that Aero9 sounds great .It took the bass from 683 to different level with 500W internal amplification, I am currently in progress with my Audio room attic conversion and I know for sure that I gonna get another Aero9 as a second sub to my setup.You do not need to spend a fortune to get a good quality sub as Aero9 is priced £ 249 at RS.so for two is £500.It sounds better on flat floor/pannel/wood with spikes rather then carpet to give more reflection from the passive cone underneath and shake the room;-)).I think that would help a bit.

As sub-bass frequencies are not generally considered directional, a single sub would suffice unless you need more power or to avoid a hot-spot of bass. I'd go with your single tried and tested unit in the first instance, then decide if an upgrade is required.

SVS-PC2000
If you want to have a big sound in a compact footprint.
My SB2000 sound great but they are 14 inch cubes plus the grill on the front which is a lot bigger in the flesh than it sounds :)

As sub-bass frequencies are not generally considered directional, a single sub would suffice unless you need more power or to avoid a hot-spot of bass. I'd go with your single tried and tested unit in the first instance, then decide if an upgrade is required.

Many rooms have a null at the MLP, which can't be overcome with room eq. The only solution is a 2nd (or more) sub to counter the nulls, then use room eq to bring down the peaks for a smooth response.

With a single (very good) sub my response had big nulls and some large peaks in it. Once I added the second (at an unequal distance to the MLP) it smoothed it much more. A couple of years ago I added two more subs so I now have one in each corner of the room and the response is smooth, but also in the other seats too. It's not just about power (or more accurately about having lots of spare headroom for minimal distortion).

Many rooms have a null at the MLP, which can't be overcome with room eq. The only solution is a 2nd (or more) sub to counter the nulls, then use room eq to bring down the peaks for a smooth response.

With a single (very good) sub my response had big nulls and some large peaks in it. Once I added the second (at an unequal distance to the MLP) it smoothed it much more. A couple of years ago I added two more subs so I now have one in each corner of the room and the response is smooth, but also in the other seats too. It's not just about power (or more accurately about having lots of spare headroom for minimal distortion).
Hi there

Hi there,I'm thinking about getting 2 subs for my music/movie aet up.I have a dedicated stereo amp for stereo duties and the av side will be through my denon avr.The subs I think will be suited to this are the Rels 7ti.Any one used these in pairs and whats the best way to link the two.I believe there is a wireless remote device that can be used for the second sub if I needed it,but not too keen on wireless set ups.Any thoughts?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom