1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 or 2 questions???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bluenose1878, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Bluenose1878

Bluenose1878

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think i've finally decided to go for a Panasonic Viera TH-42PE30 but i'm still not 100% convinced about Plasma.
    -The 1st thing i've noticed whilst looking at them in Currys/Comet etc. is that the picture quality on all plasmas seems pretty crap for the money but i'm sure they can't be as bad as they are in the shops. Is that just because they are all getting the picture from the same source and its struggling to get a decent signal? Whenever i've been into pubs & bars that now have them the picture doesn't seem great either, the picture appears slightly out of focus and blurred especially watching football, one of my main reasons for wanting a ruddy great big tv.
    -Another thing i'm a bit unsure of is Sky digital, as yet i haven't got Sky+ as yet but is there something i need as a convertor i think i've read something on here about one but i'm not sure what it is/does, will i need one for Sky digital?
    -And one last quick one, i would quite like to fix it to the wall to give more room in the lounge but just how good do the walls/fixings have to be for it to stay up there??? The house is only a few years old so the walls seem to be breeze block & plasterboard, but i'm pretty sure it's a suporting wall that it's going on, i just don't want it crashing down!!

Thanks for any help,advice & info....any at all!!!

2. zoom

zoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean about picture quality. As a rule of thumb set your expectations that plasma will not be quite as good as CRT for viewing regular telly, sky etc.
    However with a properly set up DVD playing it is absolutely crystal clear on a good plasma. What you need to bear in mind is that apart from a Loewe 42" CRT, CRTs don't go that big so it is difficult to compare like with like. Obviously the bigger you get with the same pixel resoultion the less sharp an image becomes.
    I have just got a 32" hitachi and am very happy with my analogue aerial picture, even watching football. The resolution is sharp, you can make out single strands of hair on peoples heads on close ups, the grass on the football pitch doesn't shimmer but if you stand unrealistically close to the set (1foot) then you can see a very slight sense of movement/shimmer on the background areas, which from a normal distance is not noticeable at all.
    You need to view the screens from the right distance. A lot of people on this board rate Panasonics and Pioneer highly for PQ.
    I suspect if you looked at your CRT with a similar critical eye then you would start to notice minor faults in the picture. I think it is because plasmas cost so much that we become hyper critical (understandably) and start actively looking for glitches rather than just watching it.
    Go to a store where they have a good set up and then let your eyes decide. I'm not an AV fanatic and don't demand perfection, I just wanted a good looking plasma that gave me a similar picture quality to my old TV.

One of the reasons I chose the hitachi from my shortlist was that I purposely wanted to see how it handled a bad set up so if the picture looked alright with that I knew that was the worst it could be and I could improve on it at home. I saw it in John Lewis and compared with all the other plasmas they had and it handled the poor signal really well. I made sure I watched some Saturday afternoon sport on it to see how it dealt with action.
    Good luck in your search.

3. dj_johnnyg

dj_johnnyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem I found with looking at plasma's in larger highstreet stores, such as comet & currys on large retail parks when they have 30+ screens in one place, is that they feed all the TV's with the same RF signal. Plasma's aren't particulaly good with RF images (IMO), and so PQ suffers, especially with a single signal split to over 30 screens.

Pubs don't install TV's for PQ, they tend to go for big screens for the cheapest price so they can get as many punters through the door to buy their beer and make them money. - My local pub took out their 25K projector and swopped it for one costing just over 1K - Why? Was the PQ better, no it mean't he could pay off the price quicker, and so make more profit!

Sky+ - Excellent invention, had no trouble, but unfortionatly (spelling? :lesson: ) it means I turn into a Sky rep everytime someone new comes round, so I can show them Live pausing, rewinding etc...

Anyway back to the question. If your screen has the scart board then you will only need a Scart lead (Pref RGB) to connect the sky+ box & the plasma. If you don't have a Scart board, then I believe you need to get a Scart to VGA convertor. (RS or JS seems to ring a bell, and Keene electronics do a similar product)

Finally, I am about to install one of Pioneers loverly new 43" screens on a wall in my house. Luckily I am able to drill through the plasterboard and the breezeblock into the garage, so I am going to use some long threaded rods with washers and Nyloc nuts.

Hope that was some help. :thumbsup:

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    With a Viera you don't need any converters, it has scarts just like a normal telly. It will be way way better than anything you've seen in Currys or a pub, you will do everything to see that it is for one thing, and for another it's just about the best plug and play solution on the market currently, and you need a fair bit of fuss and bother to get better. ie monitor panel, scaler, AV audio system, calibration etc. You know you'll only end up spending too much money.

5. Bluenose1878

Bluenose1878

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your replies.