1 in 2 out HDMI Splitters

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
I was following a thread here recently about 1 in 2 out HDMI splitters where the OP had similar requirements to myself i.e. 1 source to 2 screens and stated that he had purchased a cheap splitter on ebay like this:

POTHHDMISPL1_cb.jpg

Does anyone know where that thread has gone? Would a splitter like that work?

From what I understand this Lindy splitter requires that both displays are switched on for it to work but what if I only want to watch on a single screen at a time?

Are there any other alternatives below £50 that can split and pass through a full 1080p/24 signal?

P

ProjectorDreams

do one thats £35 quid gets good reveiw in home cinema

kostas13

The Joytech one does not do what you are after. It's a switch as opposed to a splitter.

I have the one in the picture bought from that guy (ebay UK ships from US). Fantastic Price btw. I am using it to split a signal from a VP to AV/amp to a LCD and a PJ. It works with one display being switched-off but both outputs of the cable inputs have to be connected/terminated.

A problem may occur if you intend to run a 8+ meter cable for any of the 2 outputs.:lesson:

I can say that it accepts input at 1080p24 (ie from PS3) but I can't tell you if it's outputting 1080p24 as none of my displays support 1080p24/48/96 output. (at the moment :D)

The other thing to note is that it does not pass audio. Only Video. This is absolutely fine if you have it at the end of a system ie to feed two displays but if you wanted to say send video one path, audio the other it. the audio wouldn't work.

Note that it actually splits the incoming video signal into two meaning you cannot have two different outputs (say telly showing sky hd and a PJ showing Blu Ray etc)

Also, Not sure if it's hdmi 1.3 compliant (I bet it's not, but again it's absolutely fine as even the displays that do come with hdmi 1.3, do not actually support 1440p res not to mention that there is no native content yet)

And a last thing, it takes a few seconds more to sync when I switch (through my VP so it may be the combination of the VP and the splitter and not the splitter itself) to sources with different resolutions.

Apart from the audio (which I am ok with it as I use it after the last kit in my system ie my AV amp ) and the extra few seconds delay, it is a fantastic, simple and extremely cheap splitter. Try comparing it to an octava and you'll see what I mean :D ;)

Regards,

Kostas

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Thank you both very much for your response, they've been very helpful.

Kostas 13,

The ebay splitter seems very good for what it is but a maximum of 8m cable length is a major drawback, especially since I'll have an approx 15m long cable run to the projector. However, whilst looking into this area, I came across one of these signal boosters. The splitter and signal booster seem perfect for each other and in theory they should work well together, does anyone have any experience with both of these?

Jonstone,

Nice find, I emailed cableuniverse to clarify a few points and from their response it seems, for now, this is the product that I've been looking for. It's a simple all-in-one solution and unlike the Lindy, I've received confirmation from Cableuniverse that you do not require both TV and Projector to be switched on for the device to function correctly. I'll be placing an order for one of these very soon.

:thumbsup:

kostas13

Yes, I also think the one from cable universe is the one to go for. I'll probably buy one myself (to save the few seconds delay ;)) and for the case that I may need to run long cables, as they are not that expensive. I also found out they can support up to 20m cable lengths :smashin:

They also have a 1in4 model which apparently is hdmi 1.3 compliant (not that it matters at the moment that much but you never know). the 1in2 is hdmi 1.1

finally, it's worth pointing out that the cheap splitter is a passive kit (ie no extra power required etc) while the HSP010x is a distribution amp. So it would definitely make a difference in the cable length issue comparing the two.

Regards,

Kostas

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
I put the order through yesterday, once it arrives I'll put it to the test and let you know how it performs - for £50 it seems good value for money.

:)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello all

Passive HDMI Splitters will work for some systems but not in the majority of systems - and will often be pretty flaky even when they do 'work'.

Beware HDMI Switch, Distribution and Amplification gear that relies solely on the HDMI Input cable for power - its not always a reliable method of powering the switch gear.

Beware cable length claims on Switch and Distribution gear - often the small print tell the truth; the 20m cable support may be the total run of Input and Output cable with the switch in the middle of the cable run.

Octava have a New 1x2 HDMI Distribution amp that may be worth considering - it does everything 'properly'; see http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI distribution amp_splitter 2 port.html

Joe

kostas13

Hello all

Passive HDMI Splitters will work for some systems but not in the majority of systems - and will often be pretty flaky even when they do 'work'.

Beware HDMI Switch, Distribution and Amplification gear that relies solely on the HDMI Input cable for power - its not always a reliable method of powering the switch gear.

Beware cable length claims on Switch and Distribution gear - often the small print tell the truth; the 20m cable support may be the total run of Input and Output cable with the switch in the middle of the cable run.

Octava have a New 1x2 HDMI Distribution amp that may be worth considering - it does everything 'properly'; see http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI distribution amp_splitter 2 port.html

Joe

Joe,
Don't get me wrong as I do think octava has some very nice products. But why a consumer would pay $189 (or ~£90) + shipping for a product that is identical (from a quick look I had in the link you gave) to the one from cable universe at almost half the price (not the passive one)

(Note: I even found the HSP0102 above on ebay for £25+£6 pp today btw)

They seem to do (in terms of the main reason one would buy this ie hdmi splitting) exactly the same thing; splitting hdmi signal into two Displays (same signal on both by the way as opposed to other more expensive Octava products)

One thing would be quality but how different can it be in such small devices ;)

Also, I don't like the fact that it states "improving hdmi signal". I have a dedicated VP for this and I'd really doubt on the "improvements" (from this perspective) an inexpensive unit as such could offer.

Kind Regards,

Kostas

P.S. again nothing negative towards Octave products is meant here. Perhaps just that they are a bit pricey :D

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello Kostas

When you say 'identical' - do you mean they have the same number of Input and Output sockets :)

The Octava units are designed/manufactured 'in-house' so aren't a copy/clone of anyone's design.

The Octava Clear EYE technology doesn't improve the image in the way you associate with a VP; instead it ensures the voltage/timing of the Output signal is on spec - not always the case with Input signals from poor quality kit.

The Octava HDDA12 also has the option of PCM Output on Optical from the HDMI Input signal - not everyone will require it but handy for some.

I'll guarantee there will be lots of folk who do try the lower cost options and have connectivity problems - they will then turn to the Octava design to ensure problem free connectivity!

Joe

D

Deleted member 161415

The Octava HDDA12 also has the option of PCM Output on Optical from the HDMI Input signal - not everyone will require it but handy for some.
Joe

At long last, this is a godsend for those (like me) who want to distribute PS3 to a bedroom a play the sound via TV Speakers, but, still have the PS3 connected to main tv and amp via digital. without having to go into PS3 set up all the time:smashin:

Only problem is, I want to DIST to 4 tvs:thumbsdow and two amp.

SO Joe, any plans for 1 x 4 with 2 digital outs.

For what it's worth (I have bought quite a few splitters QED, CYRUS, Unbanded etc. Based on QED Charging £250 for a 1X2 splitter (£315 for 1x4) and no optical out I think £90 is cheap.

One final point, IMO (No expect though) I think the QED, Cyrus and Keane splitters are all exaclty the same just differently branded.

Mark

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello marksimonwright

The next product to be released by Octava (due mid Sept 07) is a 5x2 DA with a single Toslink out for PCM Bitstream.

QED and lots of other ‘Brands’ use CYP (Cypress Technology) as their OEM partner for HDMI Switch and Distribution products.

Joe

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
I put the order through yesterday, once it arrives I'll put it to the test and let you know how it performs - for £50 it seems good value for money.

:)

OK, I finally had the opportunity to use the HSP0102 HDMI 1in to 2out splitter. For the record, I have 3 HDMI sources going into my AV receiver all with 1.5m cables. The AV receiver has 1 HDMI output so I'm using a 1m HDMI cable to connect that to the 2-way splitter. I use the splitter to distribute the signal to my TV using a 1m cable and to my projector using a 15m cable.

As a side note, this may be of some use to someone out there, I discovered something interesting about the use of a 15m length HDMI cable. It's a cheapo bought from an ebay trader for £35 and having gone through checkout, I immediately had buyers regret thinking about all the horror stories I've heard about long HDMI cables and how important it is to buy expensive (quality?) ones at such lengths. When it first arrived, I only had my first generation DLP TV to test it on and upon connecting I noticed a very 'flaky' picture (like the distortion you get when tuning an analogue TV) and became worried that the cable was not good enough for the job. I started to do a bit of research and found out that there could be 3 possibilities for the picture degradation:

1) The cable may be of a poor construction
2) The HDMI receiver (input) in my TV has a low sensitivity and can not handle the long cable.
3) The HDMI transmitter (output) device e.g. Sky HD box or 2-way splitter is not sending a strong enough signal to carry over such length.

So, I first changed the source and tried it with my HD DVD player but the problem persisted. It was obviously not the transmitter. I then took it over to a friend’s house, tested it on his Panasonic plasma and to my surprise, the cable worked - no ‘sparklies’ and no picture distortion. Since it was not a fault with the transmitter or the cable, I could only assume that the HDMI receiver in my TV was not up to the job.

I then anxiously awaited the delivery of my projector since that is what the 15m cable was going to be used with. I now have the cable running from the splitter to my projector and it works perfectly, I can view on either display without having to go round the back and mess around with the cables and of course no signs of picture degradation. The splitter passes through a 1080p24 signal from my PS3 without any problems. A point to note, you can not use both displays at the same time - not that I'm bothered since I only want to view on one screen at a time. The fact that the splitter is not HDMI 1.3 spec is not an issue for me either but it may be for some if they are placing it between source and AV receiver and want to pass through HD audio in bitstream.

Other than that, for around £50 I have a device that does exactly what it says on the box – by the way, great service from Cableuniverse, answered my emails very quickly and delivery took 1 working day – fantastic!

Regards
MI55ION

kostas13

Yes it does. Check the cable universe site as well.

Regards,

Kostas

leemerrilees

Standard Member
Can anyone tell me if i use this to input two devices into one IE: ps3 and V+box into my single TV hdmi or is just an output device.

Thanks all

I am a newbee so be gentle

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom