Question 1 good REL or 2 Normal?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by rp65, Mar 10, 2018.

1. rp65

rp65
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys. Second time poster.
    I've recently purchased LS50s L&R R200c centre and Monitor Audio Silver FX rears and a REL T9i sub.

I'm still awaiting delivery of the kit but having listened to them it was a great system. Once set up in my room I'll know better.

Quick Q, as I still have a bit of time, would anyone suggest upgrading to a REL S3 SHO or keep the T9i and get another T9i in the future?

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,700
    The S3 is considered the more musical of the REL subs although I find the T series to be very quick and agile and suit my 5.1.2 musical taste for sufficient bass. A T9i will be my next upgrade.

However if your main interest is music then you should consider adding a good stereo amp with HT By-pass into your system. You can get an amp of the quality of the Rega Elicit R for the price of an S3 and the Rega will really make those LS50s sing.

What AVR are you running?

3. rp65

rp65
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for th reply.
    I'm going to be powering it with an Arcam AVR550.

4. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,700
    I believe the 550 just has the one LFE out. If your room has significant nulls then two T9s and correct placement will help. If just wanting more power and just using the single LFE then the S3, especially with the Arcam's better music delivery, may be the way to go.

I'm not a basshead and my wife's philosophy of subs is that they should be heard but not seen. Luckily my modest T5 performs beautifully behind an armchair and it never draws attention to itself. If I had an S3 the armchair would have to move.;)

5. rp65

rp65
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers!

I checked the AVR550 it has 1 sub and 1 other LFE in its 'Pre-out' section. What I'm not sure of if they can be controlled independently, doesn't matter too much right now.

I'm not too much of a bass head, prefer quality over quantity but if I can have both then bonus!

I think I would sacrifice full on bass for LFE for better audiophile quality bass. If I get a REL S3 SHO it means I'll be running 1 Sub for longer, may not even have the chance to get a second.

I did have a radical idea on maybe adding a T Zero and putting it right next no the listening/watching position only to be used when watching movies.