1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 gig download limit's affect on X-Box gaming?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by NinjaKi11a, Jun 1, 2004.

1. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at downgrading from regular 512k BT Broadband access to the new version with the same speed, but a 1 gig/month download limit and I'm wondering how this will affect my gaming. To be honest I don't play so much any more and apparently they just charge you £4 if you go over the limit (up to 3 gig), but can anyone give me any idea how many hours I would have to play say Rainbow 6 before I hit the limit?

Cheers.

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    If the game requires you to transfer about 8K/sec (up and down) then you would roughly get about 35 hours gaming a month before you hit the 1gig limit.

3. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    1 Gig download limit. No way I would agree to that. Especially if you download files 1 gig is nothing. Then there is browsing the net and of course playing games. Whats the point of having BB if they are going to cap your usage so ridiculously low.

Who is your BB provider ? I would move straight away if my BB provider tried to pull that trick. The only time I have heard of this before is BT. And who uses BT for anything.....

Stuff like this really really annoys me. As users we have to come down hard on stuff like this and vote with our feet. Dangerous precedents and all that.

4. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Lot's of ISP's are starting this now. It's worrying. Most have like 1Gb for £19 or something, then you pay per Gb up to a maximum of £25 but there is no actual limit.

I would definatley switch to a real ISP like Zen or Nildram. I mean, 512k is capable of around 4gb a day! So, 1gb a month is pathetic.

I just hope we don't end up in the same mess as we did with dial up where people are getting booted from their ISP's for over use.

5. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you want a cheap 512k bb connection, try wanadoo, they do the same sort of thing as BT (2gb data transfer limit), but at only £17.99 a month :thumbsup:

Rich

6. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I actually agree with having people booted off for over use ..... but not in the respect of what the providers did as you mentioned above.
    I think if you are on a 50:1 contention and someone in the neighbourhood is 24/7 dl'ing at full potential day in day out it can be rather frustrating .... and in such a case they should be forced to change to a different tarrif and service.
    You pay for unlimited access - but usually with a 'fair use' clause ... the problem lays in what we call fair use and what a provider manipulates it to be.
    Thats what happend with the old dialup accounts - they sold a service on the grounds of it beind unlimited access - then if you were online for more than an hour at a time it disconnected you.
    That was because the providers had not done the maths or case studies - they expected the average John Smith user usage - but most of the people signing up did so specifically because they wanted to be connected 24/7.

If adsl went pay as you go ..... I would probably pull the plug out - often I want to dl'd Linux disk sets ( 3.2Gb ) to build a new server .... the whole point of adsl is being able to do that overnight and not haveing to worry.

I've finally switched ADSL provider after being with claranet for 3 - 4 yrs.
    I used to pay about £50 a month when i first got 512kbit ... that dropped to £29.99 which was still to much compared to other providers.
    Been shopping about and found Plus net doing 2Mbit for 39.99 ( at premium connection -- ie no bandwith restriction ).
    So as soon as my migration is finalised I'm upping to 2Mbit - an extra 1.5Mbit .... for an extra £10 on what i have been paying ;)

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got ADSL and me and the flatmates steered well clear of any capped service. I mean, a high speed service with a 1 Gb limit is only good for people who like fast Internet, but don't use it very often.

I'll go ages without doing anything but checking my email, and then I might download a few gigs in a day or so. Plus, when you've got several people using the same account, the bandwidth really adds up.

Ps. Pipex is terrific. :thumbsup:

8. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    harrisuk, I'm not being forced into this, I'm just trying to cut my bill. Personally, I find the only time I need BB is when playing xbox which is once a fortnight these days. I no longer download movies or anything as I prefer to buy the DVD...

What is the average transfer speed for an X-box game please?

9. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haha oh well tha'll teach me - £30 migration charge - bastids!

Actually that single charge has conviced me to change provider as soon as my contract runs out.

10. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    That depends on whether you are hosting and how many people are being hosted. Many PC games recommend a bandwidth of around 64Kbits/sec per player if you are the server, which equates to around 8Kb/sec, which is the figure I used in my original example.

I can't forsee it being above 10K/sec, therefore like I said you can have around 25-35 hours per month. If you host then you will max that connection out and will likely get around 10-15 hours per month.

11. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    ^-------- the only times it tends to go up is when players are using custom decals / sprays / global custom skins etc ... or when mods / patches and maps need to be downloaded to the client.
    For decals its only very brief spikes intermitantly - for maps etc its down to whether the server is running standard maps / revisions ... if so then its not going to impact at all.

Biggest pain is going if people are running email through the connection .... consider all the spam - alot of spam blockers etc still let the email come to the client before its deleted ...... that means spam will end up costing you money as it eats away at your download quota :(

12. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And definitely keep an eye out if you're using some kind of delivery system like Steam, which has had a tendency to push out complete demos of games to all users "in case" any of them wanted to play it. (something like a 180 mb CS: Condition Zero a few months back)

Course, that was probably a glitch. I only mention it here because I hate Steam. :D

13. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    I'll Second that. i had pipex and im always playing online games wether it be px xbox or ps2 and im always d/l patches for games and HD films from newsgroups which are about 4gb each. i must go thru alot of bandwidth a month on pipex and im totally satisfied with the service. id definatly recommend it to anyone :smashin:

14. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks loads for your responses. It actually turns out that I don't habe to pay a fee as I've been with BT for X months. Unfortunately the operator I spoke to this morning seems to think BT Broadband Basic is incompatible with on-line gaming... not sure what that means... Anyway, this has convinced me to check out some other ISPs as soon as my contract runs out.

Thanks again.

15. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    BT. What a surprise. Get away from them as soon as you can. Their BB services are not competively priced even before you take stuff like this into account.

16. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking that the BT operator is incompatible with intelligent thought. ;)

But, the first thing I would tell anyone getting broadband is to get anything but BT. Oh, this is an invaluable resource for ADSL:

ADSL Guide