1. Flickering 2. Colorimeter measurements

lemurios

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have just bought Panasonic p42st60. While having static bright images I notice some flickering. However, the strange thing is that it stops (or at least it is not visible to me anymore) when i use S-curve gamma. Any idea why is this happening?

In addition, I am currently in the process of calibrating it. When I take two consecutive measurements of - let's say - 10% greyscale I do not get the same data. Is that normal? What measurement variations should I expect (of course the lighting conditions are the same).

Thanks in advance for your replies!

I would guess the flickering is going because of the gamma change affecting the drive in the plasma. With an S curve you are making things that should not be bright, bright, keeping the pixels in an ON state longer.

If you are not getting consistent readings at 10% then it is likely a calibration tool set up or hardware issue. With modern plasma displays 10% is usually dark....you don't say what hardware and software you are using. With some software you can alter the integration time (the time the probe takes to execute each sample) and then with some you can also add multi-read averaging to kick in when a certain luminance level is reached in order to try to get more reliable, repeatable results. I'd go looking for the low light handling options in the software...your software vendor should be able to give you support on that

Thank you for your reply!

I am using calman 4 and spyder 4. If i remember correctly there is a delay option. I guess it is related to the integration time you refered to. I will also check the average multi reading.

Thanks

delay is usually about how long to wait before moving to next measurement, not about how long to actually sample for. I do not know if calman 4 has any ability to set integration time. I also suspect that your spyder4 is not going to be accurate anyway and may struggle to measure at such low light levels. I'd look to try to get hold of an i1DisplayPro if you can.

I have borrowed the spyder 4. I will check the colorimeter that you suggested. Any other suggestion at that price?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom