1 Dull Sounding Speaker

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mattord, Jan 22, 2008.

1. mattord

mattord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i wasnt sure wether to post this here or in the computer section but here we go.

I have a creative gigaworks 750 sound system hooked up to my PC. One of the surround sound speakers sounds dull compared to the others. I have tried switching speakers around to make sure it was not the wiring to that speaker causing the problem and it is deffinatley the speaker that is the problem. i took the back off it to look for loose connections but it seems to be ok.

anyone got any ideas?

thanks

Matt

2. Cynar

Cynar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I think the technical term for the problem you're experiencing is "it's knackered".

3. mattord

mattord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not "knackered". it works, just doesnt sound as clear as the others. I just wanted to know if anyone knew how to fix it

4. Cynar

Cynar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    If one of my speakers sounded dull I'd call it knackered.;)
    Sounds to me like the tweeter isn't working.
    If you can take the grill off the front of the speakers, the tweeter is the small round silver driver at the top. Try covering this with your hand (without actually touching it) on one of the 'good' speakers. If it then sounds dull the same as the other this will confirm my diagnosis.
    If so, could be the tweeter drive unit itself, the internal wiring or the crossover at fault.
    Unless you have the knowledge and skill required to dismantle the speaker, test and if necessary replace any problem parts, I suggest you get in touch with Creative to see if they have a service centre you could send it to for repair.