1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 disc dvd's vs 2 disc dvd's

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Marc, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    can anyone see the point in releasing both 1 disc and 2 disc versions of the same movie? Obviously it's done so they can sell a dvd cheaply and expensively at the same time, but i see no reason why they couldn't just put the price somewhere in between the low and high and only sell one version.

The cost of producing a dvd disc is minimal so i really don't see that the companies would lose out on money in that respect, and considering both versions have to be submitted to the bbfc seperately, and quite often both have different artwork surely it's just wasting time and money making both versions.

I mean, does anyone willingly choose a 1 disc version over a 2 disc version when they go for a dvd? I've got a couple that i bought over the internet without knowing there was a 2 disc version, but i'd never do it knowingly.

2. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,388
    I've knowingly bought 1 disc DVDs; mostly when the movie is of dubious quality or only vague interest, yet there is say a £4 price difference between the two. Also i've watch the extras on barely a dozen DVDs, so extra content isnt normally appreciated - hence a cheaper single disc is sometimes a very nice option.

A question of more relevance; is why do companies produce 2 disc DVDs with such crappy extras thats not worth the effort of the consumer to watch? Just so they say they have a "2 disc special edition" or some ****word? or just because extras are an expectation from our end nowadays?

I'll assume you arent commenting on 1 disc "Superbit" (and similarly named) DVDs? Where obviously the quality increase is meant to be the bonus of such a single disc.

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    oh no, i understand the superbit philosophy.. don't agree with it persé, they should just bring the dvd's out in decent quality the first time around instead of making out theyve done something special with them later on..

i'm talking about things like master and commander, garfield, independence day, from hell, predator etc where in most cases theyve just taken the 2nd disc out of the box, changed the artwork slightly and reduced the price by a few quid. since they've already spent out on getting the extras licensed, the 20(ish)p it costs them to produce the disc is a drop in the ocean and i dont see why they cant just set the 2 disc's price lower.

The only legitimate reason i can think of is perhaps they dont wanna **** off those of us who paid £24.99 (yeah right) for our 2-disc special edition by then selling it a year later for 7.99 or whatever.

4. belgrade

belgrade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to always look out for the 2-disk versions of dvds, as long as they werent too expensive, but are they really worth it?
    Apart from Lord of the Rings and Donnie Darko, I dont think I have ever watched the bonus features, so in future I think I will just get 1-disk versions. The only reason to get a 2 disk, is if it offers a better transfer, or a better audio mix.

5. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    it should always be either a fullrate film with no extras or a 2 disc SE with ALL the extras on the 2nd disc....

Of course, they would sell less copies that way.... :rolleyes:

Damn accountants and marketing people :(

6. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i usually get the 2 disc versions because the main feature film has better options

eg blade trinity (R2) single dvd does not have DTS - you have to get the extended 2 disc set for this option

never watched the other discs apart from the one with easy rider special edition and the 'true story' with blackhawk down superbit

7. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    i must admit when i was in my prime of dvd buying it was always the 2 diskers for me. now ive cut down cos of HD-DVD/blu-ray on the horizon i only get 1 disk version. that fact and plus that i never ever found my self watching the special features. so now only get the multi disk sets if a) thats the only version and b) its a film i really love eg LOTR EE's