1 card 2 boxes?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by jayjarvo, Feb 23, 2013.

1. jayjarvo

jayjarvo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, sorry to ask this question as I guess it has been asked dozens of times before but I cannot find the answer as some say yes and some say no.
    I have bought a static caravan and have just bought a Sky HD+ box for it. I have sky multi room at home and pay a subscription to sky for this. I am subscribed to the entertainment package so receive those channels on both boxes. Can I take one of my cards to my caravan and get the same channels as I get at home or will I only be able to receive the freeview channels I get without a card?

I have tried 1 of the cards that works in my new box but it says the card isn't for that box however I have read previous posts that have said I should get all the channels please can someone advise?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,767
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    This fixed thread was immediately above yours, and is meant to help posters get the most relevant answers to their enquiries: http://www.avforums.com/forums/sate...ere-youll-get-better-answers-right-forum.html.
    The multiroom T&C require each machine to be connected at all times to the same fixed telephone landline.
    Viewing cards are "paired" to only one specific machine at a time.
    Freeview is terrestrial TV so that isn't involved at all.
    The new machine will provide the free satellite channels.

3. jayjarvo

jayjarvo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks logiciel, do I need to post this somewhere else then as I would like to ask you another question regarding this thread?

4. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,767
    That's OK and I was about to move it - Logi

5. jayjarvo

jayjarvo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, my query is that I have the sky box in my sitting room plugged into my telephone line but not the 2nd box that is in the bedroom. I have tried the card from the bedroom in the sky box I bought today but it will not work, is there anyway I can use either of my cards in my "new" box or can I only watch the "free" channels?

6. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Just take one of your multiroom boxes, plus it's card, with you when you go to the caravan, and re-sell the surplus box!

7. jayjarvo

jayjarvo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Neil, that was my original plan but then I thought if I let my family or friends use my caravan they wont have anything to watch as there is only a sky dish fitted, no aerial, I thought I had come up with a good plan. Have a sky box at the caravan and I would only need to take a card from home not a box. When anybody used the caravan at least they would have the free channels. I have seen posts that say yes putting a card in a new box will allow you to watch the same entertainment channels you pay for but I have tried it it doesn't work so I was after some advice as to what I might be doing wrong?

8. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,767
    That's exactly what they would have:
    Only if Sky paired a card to the new machine instead of the present one would they get the subscription channels.

9. jayjarvo

jayjarvo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there no way I could use my card? I have seen posts where ppl explain how to pair a card with another box but I'm not sure if it's safe to do this?
    Do ppl not chip sky boxes anymore?

10. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    The only way to pair a box to a card is by phoning Sky for full functionality of all subscriptions on the account. The card would then have to be re-paired to the initial box when it is returned. Sky would not be happy if this is done multiple times. Limited functions can be achieved as stated in this thread - http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-...-cards-using-other-sky-boxes-pairing-etc.html.

Chipping of Sky boxes a few years ago involved removing a chip from a Sky box using a very expensive surface mount soldering station (costing well into four figures) copying the contents of the chip to another chip from an identical model and version number Sky box and replacing both chips in the appropriate boxes. The boxes would then have identical serial numbers etc and a card would operate fully in either box without need to phone Sky to pair cards. Not strictly illegal as it would only involve using a legitimate paid for subscription card in one or other of the boxes.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  11. jayjarvo

jayjarvo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the replies, I guess I should have just got an aerial fitted and used the inbuilt freeview on my TV! I should have asked these questions before buying the box, I had read old posts that said it was possible to swap a card from 1 box to another but I guess that was on older boxes. I will probably try to sell the box I bought and get an aerial fitted.
    Thanks to all who have answered my questions

12. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,767
    I'd just answered that: "if Sky paired a card to the new machine instead of the present one would they get the subscription channels", and that's a very simple thing to do, by calling them.
    That would be perfectly safe as Sky would be doing it, but as dm2 says you'd have to get it paired back to the original machine when you wanted to use that again, and Sky wouldn't want to keep on doing it.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013