1.5 v 2.0 - confused!

S

Strena

Hi! I am looking to buy a white PSP for my boyfriend for Christmas and have been reading through this forum for advice. I'm confused about this 1.5 v 2.0 issue and "homebrewing". One post on here was about someone having a 2.0 and wanting to get rid of it to get a 2.0 instead. Can anyone explain what this is all about please? Will affect the games that can be played? Thanks!

chrislad

There are a number of versions of firmware

1.0, 1.5, 1.51, 1.52, 2.0, 2.01, 2.5

The following firmwares allow you to play homebrew software

1.0, 1.5

No other does. However it is possible to downgrade your firmware only from 2.0 to 1.5. You cannot downgrade from 1.51, 1.52, 2.01 or 2.5 (yet anyways).

If you are getting a white PSP, make sure it has version 2.0. If you get 2.01, you will not be able to downgrade.

The only game downgrading really affects is GTA. You need to have 2.0 to play it. Any other game is fine, as you can use homebrew software such as WAB Changer to make the PSP think it is 2.0, rather than 1.5. This method does not work with GTA.

jinky32

what a good girlfriend you are.

firware (in my limited understanding) is basically the software that runs how te PSP works. In itself it is nothing to do with any of the games that you play on the psp.

1.50 is the version of firmware that was the first to be really well hacked so that pirated games and homebrew (programmes written by individuals with no affiliation to Sony) could run onthe psp.
2.00 was the new firware that sony bought out to try and counter all the homebrew and piracy that went on after 1.50. They said that 2.00 had much better features. When the UK version came out it shipped with firware 1.50 but included a big note to users urging them to upgrade to 2.00. Many people did this and regretted it....untill.....
2.00 was cracked too! NOw you can have firware 2.00 and downgrade to 1.50 and back if you wish.
Now Sony have bought out firmware 2.50 to try and stop the fun again, but noone's paying any attention to them.

So, it deosn't really matter whether you get a 1.50 or 2.00 firware psp. It'd be nicer to get 1.50, but you'll be very lucy to find one inthe shops now. I think it's quite simple to downgrade from 2.00 anyway.
One of the newest games does require firware 2.50 to play, but that's only one game - and there will most likely be a workaround soon anyway.

hope that helps!

chrislad

Actually, no UK units shipped with 1.5. They were 1.52 and came with 2.0 on UMD.

No games require 2.5 to run at the moment. GTA is, as far as I know, the only game that needs 2.0, and will not work with WAB Changer.

jinky32

ok, my mistake - i had thought they were 1.50 - never bought a uk one. i thought a thread here had mentioned that the vids on gta needed something only available in 2.50 - anyway, these are matters adiaphora.

what the new flashy thing thing you have these days below your name?

GreenBhoy

Hi Strena

I was the guy who got a 2.01 (not to be confused with 2.0) white PSP and wanted to get rid of it. I actually ended up with 2 of them and managed to sell both.

For the reasons that the guys have mentioned here already I really wanted a 1.5 or a 2.0 so that I could play homebrew - Sonic the Hedgehog on Megadrive etc....

In my book its always better to have the option than not and I'm afraid that if you get a 2.01 you currently dont have the option to play homebrew.

If homebrew is not on your radar, then forget it. Get a white PSP and play normal PSP games on UMD (PSP format discs)...

Regards GreenBhoy

PS sounds like you are a good girlfried... :thumbsup:

S

Strena

Thanks for all the advice guys. The only game I'm bothered about is GTA. The other half wasn't that bothered about a PSP until he found out about GTA! Will go ahead and order a white PSP over the weekend. Should I get one from Yesasia or movietyme?

(I too think I'm a great girlfriend!)

Well, If you take a look in the gaming classified section then you might find one there, you will get it cheaper and quicker, your choice, I got a white sealed one if you want with GTA..., or you can try on ebay as there are peopl in the UK who have a few of them two...just looking out for ya, don't want you getting bumbed with a custom fee...

robo989

Banned
lol wish my misses would take as much care when getting me stuff as you are for your bloke.

:clap: I didn't know women who actually gave a toss that the person likes what they get exisited.

S

Strena

I've just ordered the white PSP value pack from savastore.com. Should arrive tomorrow :thumbsup: Thanks for all the advice.

As to getting my boyfriend something he actually wants, I won't give it to him until I've seen what he's got me!!!!

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
I must say that the wife is giving me a healthy wad towards my 360 for my birthday but I must admit that when it comes to video games I do the buying to be on the safe side ;) .

scoo

Hi Cas,

I'm just lucky. My wife is good friends with Colgate7110's missus and is able to get great advice on buying the latest kit. Stuff like Sony DTS system, PSP (received in May this year) and 360 on it's way for Christmas!

Maybe you should open a sub-forum for people without the relevant knowledge to buy the best kit. Just think what you would have felt like with Gola trainers at school or one of those POP Stations...

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
scoo said:
Hi Cas,

I'm just lucky. My wife is good friends with Colgate7110's missus and is able to get great advice on buying the latest kit. Stuff like Sony DTS system, PSP (received in May this year) and 360 on it's way for Christmas!

Maybe you should open a sub-forum for people without the relevant knowledge to buy the best kit. Just think what you would have felt like with Gola trainers at school or one of those POP Stations...
I can imagine Colin's missus to be very well versed in the area of technology & AV products :D . Actually mine has become pretty well informed about technology herself and i've made sure that she's always had a console to play on as well as a laptop and PDA both of which she uses virtually every day :smashin: .

scoo

CAS FAN said:
I can imagine Colin's missus to be very well versed in the area of technology & AV products :D . Actually mine has become pretty well informed about technology herself and i've made sure that she's always had a console to play on as well as a laptop and PDA both of which she uses virtually every day :smashin: .
Just ask Colin about his experiences when letting Elaine loose on his console's. Generally he puts whatever game they were playing on ebay about 2 mins after she goes to bed! Now far be it for me to say that she is better than him, but you've got to ask yourself how a £40 purchase becomes a 99p ebay item within a few hours...

Colin :hiya: You know i'm only kidding! BTW howcome E kicks your ass at DOA, or was it Burnout 3, or was it any game you suddenly don't like...

Colgate7110

CAS FAN said:
I can imagine Colin's missus to be very well versed in the area of technology & AV products :D
Not through choice though - she's probably spent a sum total of a few weeks of her life in Sevenoaks now, time which she'll never get back :) She knows everything there is to know pretty much about the new Denon 3806 while I talked myself out of flogging my 11 month old 3805 to get it, there's not a major console out in the last 5 years she's not played and she's quite happy for a whopping AV rack to take up the best part of an entire wall in the lounge covered in shiny boxes. :D The best part though was that when I said the Xbox 360 was out this year there wasn't a hint of disapproval there. Not even when I said I'd pre-ordered it with £150 worth of games and accessories too :)

Seems that Strena's other half and scoo have incredible patience though - I can wait until Christmas for the new socks, the chocolate orange, and the new clothes but the idea of waiting until Christmas for my new 360 or PSP (especially a ceramic white one!) would slowly but surely drive me up the wall. :eek: Strena, does he know he's getting a PSP?

scoo said:
Just ask Colin about his experiences when letting Elaine loose on his console's. Generally he puts whatever game they were playing on ebay about 2 mins after she goes to bed! Now far be it for me to say that she is better than him, but you've got to ask yourself how a £40 purchase becomes a 99p ebay item within a few hours...

Colin :hiya: You know i'm only kidding! BTW howcome E kicks your ass at DOA, or was it Burnout 3, or was it any game you suddenly don't like...
There's a reason that most of the games are on my Xbox are decidely "blokey" such as PGR, Splinter Cell, Doom and Forza. Following the DOA2 debacle on the PS2, I made a point of avoiding DOA3 on the Xbox. Elaine and I tried DOA4 at the 360 Hour Tour - the only game we played together - and I lost. Now I could witter on about the dodgy background interaction and clipping, the awful control response and a whole manner of justifiable faults, but she still kicked me up down and the streets of Vegas. Not impressed one little bit. It seems my attempt to pull of some 16 button, only move needed to win the round from a full energy bar-style combo was thwarted by the time I'd got to the third button by a series of strategic button bashing :mad:

As for Burnout, it was B2 and Elaine set the highest scores on the Crash Junction levels. Now, given that Elaine does the vast majority of the driving while I play Wipeout Pure or Lumines on my PSP and she gets the highest scores on the crash junctions, I'm starting to worry.... ;)

scoo

:rotfl: Brightened up my lunch!

Can I just point out that comparing your driving is a dangerous thing - Elaine at least makes it to the junction to carry out a horrendous crash, don't you generally hit a wall about 2 seconds after starting :devil:

Trending threads

Latest news

BritBox adds Channel 5 and Comedy Central to roster
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 23rd Sept - Spears and Munsil
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones