• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

1.4mbs and thats ya lot.

HD Elvis

Established Member
I conducted a broadband speed test for the area prior to moving and it says I should be getting around 1.5 - 2mbs max, sure enough when I moved in I don't think I have topped 1.4mbs. I am with BT and have recently heard that they have plans for 40mbs speeds which is a joke given my paltry 1.4mbs. Is there nothing that can be done to increase speeds by a decent margin?

HD Elvis

Established Member
Plug the Home Hub intro the Master Socket. Read the many threads her on how to improve your internal Wiring which may help.

What do you get this site: Test Result

Download speed
achieved during the test was - 1424 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1920 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1500 Kbps

Not really sure what the last bit means.

Last edited by a moderator:

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Your Line Rate (Speed) of1920 kb/s is within the range predicted: 1.5 mb/s - 2.0 Mb/s.

In order that your Broadband runs reliably the date rate is actually restricted to a rate lower than your Line Rate. This is called an IP Profile. In the case of your Line Rate you should expect an IP Profile of 1500 Kb/s - which is what you have. In the real world there are network overheads that reduce that actual rate to slightly under the IP Profile number - which is what you have. (That is to say the Throughput number.)

The predicted Line Rate is usually a little pessimistic and so you may be able to get your actual Line Rate up a little by ensuring that your Internal Wiring is not affecting your speed. For example by ensuring that the Ring Wire is disconnected. (There are umpteen threads here on how to do that.)

For example, if you can get your Line Rate over 2016 kb/s, then your IP Profile will rise in line with it to 1750 kb/s.

The latest video from AVForums

#shorts SVS Prime Wireless Pro powered speakers - #review coming soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom