1.2m dish delivered to s.france

djstu_d

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Anyone bought a big dish from the UK and had it delivered to the south of France ???

I'm looking for a reliable seller who will ship down here, can anyone recommended someone ??

Cheers.

Stu

As a supplier I can tell you that we stopped offering that sort of shipping service very early on, back in the nineties. Why?

Because customers wouldn't pay the £100 crating fee; dishes shipped in the ordinary cardboard packing didn't survive the journey and it was impossible to claim from the carrier because: "not our fault, guv; the packaging was inadequate!"

However, when I moved here I had a 1.2m Channel Master (Andrews) dish brought over in the van and it survived the journey. It won't bend and buckle like a metal dish but it IS prone to edge-chipping due to impacts.

So my advice is to order one of these to a UK delivery address; check it for damage because, at this point, it's still insured; wrap the box in blankets or whatever else you might need that will act as protection; get someone to transport it to France in a van.

Thanks for the heads up fella.

Amazon will ship one down, so that might cover any probs with damage in transit.

Don't know of anyone planning to drive down this way in a van, so that ain't gonna happen I'm afraid...

I can get a trax 110 for a good price over here, so wondering if I should give that a go, instead of getting a 120 shipped. Not sure how much difference that extra 10cm will make ?!?!?!

I use a 85cm dish, which is right on the limit of size to signal (I.e. if it rains, I can't get any HD signal but SD channels are OK.)

But this dish is for a friend who's about 100k east, a local French installer says he thinks a 120cm dish is needed in that area.

So would a 110 trax be worth a go ??

Maybe you mean "Triax"? If so, the "Triax TD110" is only 100cm wide. Calculating the area* of the circle that the LNB observes gets (pi x 50 x 50) = 7855 square cm.

In comparison, the Channel master 1.2m dish is exactly 120 cm wide and its effective area* is (pi x 60 x 60) = 11311 sq cm.

You can see that the difference in area is VERY significant (around 44%) so, if you need a 1.2m dish, the Triax won't do.

*This is the area of the circle that the LNB actually "sees" from its location, low down, at the focal point.

Although the area doesn't give you an exact measurement as far as gain is concerned, it's near enough for comparison purposes.

As regards Amazon: they give only a 30 day warranty. After that it's "deal with the manufacturer".
If the item arrives damaged and you sign for it, it's up to you to arrange and pay for its return. (Amazon, graciously, allow you to download and print out an address label.) When I had to return a Hard Drive the address they provided was in Scotland and they offered me a derisory £2.50 refund! I had to haggle to get this increased.

Surely all this is illegal under the Sale of Goods Act. Your contract is with the dealer (Amazon in this case) not the manufacturer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that a statement of fact? I don't see a question mark. All I can say is that, after 30 days, it's no longer possible to print out a Returns label. If you've bought anything in the last year, try it yourself.

Defiantly a statement of fact.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) states that when a consumer buys goods from a trader they must be: as described; of a satisfactory quality; and fit for any purpose made known at the time of sale to the seller.

This legislation also states that the seller, not the manufacturer, is legally obliged to sort out a problem if the goods do not meet these requirements.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) says: if goods break within the first six months after purchase then there is a presumption the goods were faulty when sold.

Refusing to let you print out a returns label does not alter it and would look incredibly stupid in court.

Another discussion drifting from the original point, but looking at the sale of goods act on this site should clear things up.
http://sogahub.tradingstandards.gov.uk/sogaexplained
This is an extract:-

Customers are entitled to reject goods if they are faulty (do not match the description , are not of satisfactory quality , or are not fit for purpose ) and receive a full refund if they have not yet accepted the goods.

Before a customer is believed to have accepted the goods they have purchased, the law allows customers a reasonable opportunity to inspect or examine the goods and this should take place within a reasonable time .
........ Snip ........

For items being delivered, it is important for retailers to know that signing a delivery note is not acceptance as it does not allow the customer a reasonable opportunity to inspect the goods and identify any problems or faults.

The law does not give a time limit for acceptance. When trying to decide if a customer has had a reasonable opportunity to inspect their goods, consider what an impartial person in a court would think reasonable for that product in the circumstances.
,,,,,,, snip ......
Faulty goods, no acceptance
If the item does not conform to contract (is faulty ) for any of the reasons mentioned previously, and the customer has not accepted the goods, the law says the customer is entitled to reject the goods and claim a full refund, or request a repair or replacement if that is the customer's preferred option.
As the retailer, you can offer a repair, a replacement or a credit note, but you cannot insist on any one of these. It is the customer's right to receive a full refund in these circumstances.

Hope this helps get back on topic.

There's the complication that M P is not located in the UK!

What has any of this got to do with my op ???

Mod - why are you joining in instead of cleaning this thread up ???

Please, if anyone has info relating to my original question then please post.

MP thanks, but I'm aware of Amazon t&c's (have been down here and still buying from the UK for a couple of years now, so all good.)

I'd be very surprised if any of my UK colleagues was willing to ship a large dish overseas, for the reasons already given. The standard packaging simply isn't up to the job. Best to hire a man with a van. There are several offering this service for my Greek island so France should be well served.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom