Question 1 1080p source to 3 x TV's!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by mr pault, Apr 6, 2016.

1. mr pault

mr pault
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After reading a few threads i'm none the wiser and need some help please in laymans terms :)

Quite simple, i want to output from one HD (1080p) source into the loft then split the signal (obviously with no quality loss) to three or more TV's in 1080p. Now I can get away with 11m runs for each TV using HDMI cable, is there a splitter that anyone knows of that works and produces 1080p to each TV. At the moment I do have this setup but the output HDMI is 20m and one input TV is 20m and one other is 10m and am not getting anywhere near 1080 on either TV's, I can only imagine the 20m runs are far two long but as i said before I can do it using 11m......................

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated

Thanks so much

2. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Are all your TV's 1080p capable? (If they are older they might not) If one or more is not then you you have to go with the lowest common denominator i.e. 1080i or 720p. The source cannot transmit both 1080p and 720p at the same time down the one cable.

What's your source ?

8m is one of the recommended upper limits over HDMI for high speed cables, though to be fair I have cables that work fine at 15m. In theory your 11m cable should work however no guarantees. Also HDMI cables you don't need to spend much on them my 15m were under £20 from CPC.

The challenge is when you get to the limits of HDMI, different sources and displays may work better together so its a bit of trial and error.

The most reliable way of sending HDMI over long distances is HDBaseT which uses a signal CAT5 or above cable to each location. However its not cheap HDBaseT 4 Way HDMI Splitter Over SIngle Cat5 6

When you say you are not getting anywhere near 1080p I don't quite follow. With HDMI it works, you get white speckles (or similar noticeable picture artefacts) or it doesn't. There is no deterioration in quality, none of this blacks are better and the improvement with more expensive cables. (See the whole thread on that)

If its not working then you would have to change the source to output 720p or 1080i, which may work but again it won't be variable quality it will work or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    As Chuck says a Distribution Amp (splitter) simply mirrors the Input signal to two or more Displays.

If you Input 1080p and the signal is being Displayed on the TV you are receiving 1080p - most TV's identify the format of the input signal when you initially switch to that Input.

Not all 1080p capable TV's deliver a great picture.

Your 20m cables are a potential problem but that would show up as speckles or random drop out or no image.

How many is 'three or more'?

What Source device are you working with?

Joe

4. HDC James

HDC James
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Hello @mrpault. It is most likely the 20m hdmi cable runs. We do not recommend using HMDI cables any longer than around 8m-- 15m if you can be assured of the quality of the cable.... What is the image quality like that you're getting on the TVs, you are getting a picture from your source device?

As @ChuckMountain commented, a more reliable way of doing this would be using a HDMI over Cat 5e/6 splitter

5. mr pault

mr pault
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your help and comments people, my problem is resolved, pretty stupid really!! my output signal is coming out of my Bose v25 system and it seems someone unwittingly had changed the output from 1080p to standard definition at the same time that i installed my switch or maybe installing the switch changed it (hence the reason i was not getting anywhere near 1080p Chuck) - but have changed it back to 1080p powered everything down and back up again and all is perfect so now i have a perfect 1080p picture simultaneously on 3 TV's.

Thanks once again guys :)

Paul