1&1 webhost problems accessing via FTP

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by razer1, Jul 8, 2015.

1. razer1

razer1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Anyone else had trouble with 1&1 as hosts??

Ive got a wordpress eccommerce site hosted with them and I keep getting problems uploading to the webspace via ftp.

I can connect but as soon as I try to upload anything from filezilla, it kicks me out and blocks all access to the site - i cant even get the home page to load!

seems according to 1&1 support, the ip might be blacklisted?

Im starting to get very annoyed with not being able to access the site to do any ftp uploads of files ( which I need to do!! ) that im thinking of moving hosts asap.

Any thoughts or solutions?

TIA,

Ryan

2. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,498
    Surely if you are uploading to their servers and your IP is blacklisted then they are the ones blacklisting it?

I have had problems with my mail service - my mail was being hosted on a service which had a shared IP. This meant that if one of the shared users got up to no good then the IP got tarnished with a 'Bad Reputation' - and the result that some eMail recipients would bounce my eMails.

This would happen on average every 3 months. Initially I got nowhere with the hosting support - it was everyone's problem but theirs.

So I was left to my own research and eventually I began to understand what 'your email was block becuase of poor IP reputation' meant. Once armed with that, I got more help from support and they would do something (probably changing my IP) that would fix the problem instantly.

I have since done the 'enough is enough' and they have put me on a dedicated IP.

The point I'm making is that for anlong time the support centre were unhelpful caliming everyone else was at fault. As I became more knowledgable their attitude changed and they would resolve the problem in seconds.

So I suspect that in your case the problem is at the hosting end or it is at least something they can resolve at their end. Convincing them - that's another matter.

Cheers,

Nigel

3. maxwell

maxwell
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,352
    1&1 are useless had lots of issues with them about 18 months ago including the same as you, talking to their support was like explaining the offside rule to a woman so ended up getting rid of them completely and moving to TSOHost where I have had no problems with anything at all

4. PsyVision

PsyVision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,004
    Have you uploaded before? I don't have a 1&1 account as I'm not a great fan of them, the service I use has a cPanel frontend and with that I have to enable FTP access (part of that can carry out whitelisting). I don't know whether 1&1 have something similar that you must do through any form of control panel they use?

5. razer1

razer1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Thanks all..

Seems it their end as i also tried via my phones 3g last night and had the same problem!

Glad im not the only one thats had these issues..

Ive uploaded before fine. I have a test site running on my server at home that i use for modifications and had made a couple of minor theme changes and these were what i was trying to ftp over.

Cant do it via the cpanel interface as the damn thing doesnt allow folders to be uploaded! So would have 50 odd files to upload manually rather than just dropping thr folder in...

6. razer1

razer1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    well, seems 1&1 technical support as as useless as there hosting!

30mins on the phone to them for them to say the ip has not been blacklisted, ran a couple of traceroutes on the domain and now escallating the issue further....

Well, looks like ill be moving the site and emails from them soon when I can...