1:1 Ripping and playback of Blu-ray discs

Prism

Standard Member
I currently have my Blu-ray collection backed up in MKV form, which I can stream via Plex, although I really want to move away from this. I'm looking to make 1:1 copies of my discs, which will be able to be played back through a streamer with full menu support and special features.

Could an Nvidia Shield achieve this, and what software would I need to be looking for? I currently have MakeMKV, which I believe can make 1:1 backups. I have no idea what software is capable of playing back with menus etc, if any.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Very few streaming devices will playback Bluray menus. A Nvidia Shield doesn't. Dune did but I have no idea anymore as I'm just not that interested.

Some do BD-Lite which gives a basic menu but none of the nice stuff you get a proper Bluray player.

I do the same as you. MKV files. It saves a significant amount of space and how many times am I ever going to watch the extras on a release.

Prism

Standard Member
Very few streaming devices will playback Bluray menus. A Nvidia Shield doesn't. Dune did but I have no idea anymore as I'm just not that interested.

Some do BD-Lite which gives a basic menu but none of the nice stuff you get a proper Bluray player.

I do the same as you. MKV files. It saves a significant amount of space and how many times am I ever going to watch the extras on a release.
Might have to look further into these sorts of players, also found Zappiti and Zidoo do the same sorts of things.

I'd prefer to keep perfect clones of my discs over MKV files, despite MKVs being a bit more convenient with Plex. As I don't have unlimited storage, it's a "one or the other" type of deal.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Note that remux mkv's like you're doing are identical in quality to a full BD ISO.

The difference in size.

Game of Thrones works out about 110-130GB per season for an MKV.
A full ISO is 180-225GB.

That's a lot of stuff you're probably only going to watch once.

MKV's of movies average ~25GB
ISO's ~40GB

If you're space-limited then I'd have a think about it.

Prism

Standard Member
Might be better off investing in some sort of overly-complicated conveyor belt system which retrieves the correct Blu-ray from the loft and inserts the disc into my player! ;)

In all seriousness, I'll probably end up sticking to the MKVs and upgrading the Fire Stick to something a bit better. As it stands the Fire Stick just isn't good enough. Playback is often jittery in places and general navigation is slow.

I can always fall back to the discs when I fancy watching in 3D or for alternate or extended cuts!

Cheers for the advice

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I can highly recommend a Shield Pro for mkv files and Plex.

The Shield is powerful enough to use as a Plex server and client.

The standard Shield, the tube version cannot be used as a Plex server, I have one of these and use it with Kodi.

Furnace Inferno

I use Zidoo as it is the best one for 3D MKV’s currently, I think all the Kodi based ones now have major issues with Atmos soundtracks over a certain bitrate causing breakup of the audio so I’d steer clear of those until it’s fixed if you are using atmos, the shield is good except no 3D.

MKV is the way to go though, I tried a few with menus and it’s just not as smooth as on a player nor does it have the added convenience of getting straight into a movie like a MKV which if you are used to Netflix et al. it’s just the standard now.

For extras I went through the laborious task of identifying every extra using the “dvdcompare” site and making individual MKV files and I can tell you now, for the extra time that took I’ve watched the extras only a handful of times so not really worth it but I’m a perfectionist so I did but it will increase the time to do all disks significantly.

Unfortunately on Zidoo unlike Kodi the extras don’t link directly link to the poster wall so I have to go to the folder directly, if they did it like Kodi with an extras option I’d probably watch more of them.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I think all the Kodi based ones now have major issues with Atmos soundtracks over a certain bitrate causing breakup of the audio so I’d steer clear of those until it’s fixed if you are using atmos, the shield is good except no 3D.

I have a Shield and a Vero4K and have no issue with Atmos using Kodi.

Furnace Inferno

I have a Shield and a Vero4K and have no issue with Atmos using Kodi.
Shield doesn’t suffer the problem as it uses it’s own video player however vero4k+ definitely does as I was looking to pick one up recently before I found out about it.

Only effects high bitrate atmos and Dolby truehd streams though so you may not have any films which go over the bitrate which causes the issue. It’s something inherent to the way Kodi processes the audio, google it and you’ll see what I’m talking about. Seems to mostly be Disney released 4K content but a few others as well.

It essentially needs to be fixed by Kodi but there nobody is working on it currently or planning to at the moment as they are focussing on HDR.

Prism

Standard Member
I now have a Shield Pro, and I'm continuing to use Plex. Works great! For the odd 3D film and special features, I'll have to stop being lazy and put the disc in the BD player!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom