1:1 Pixel Mapping or "Dot by Dot" - Sharp TVs

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Jeemy, Aug 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Jeemy

Jeemy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chaps,

I want to buy an LCD TV for use as a computer monitor, showing video work to clients, web conferencing, etc.

So it doesn't need to be amazing, equally I want something that if need be you can read writing on, make edits to websites, video or graphics on.

So I think I need something with 1:1 Pixel Mapping, or Dot by Dot, or Full Pixel, etc.

I have my eye on the Sharp lc-40ls240ex as it is reduced at the moment, seems the right price, colour, size, and a decent brand.

Does anybody have any idea if this TV has this mode? Or if not (looking to spend no more than GBP £300 on a 37-40" TV) what the best alternative is?

I know I am in the cheap end of the market but its not going to be in a (terribly) secure location and its not going to receive very much use, so its not worth spending much more.

Thanks in advance, I've tried to search and pulled up nothing.

2. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    What are you showing clients? If its digital media you're selling and your product you're showing then surely you want it to look good? Maybe consider viewing angles too?

3. Jeemy

Jeemy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Viewing angle on the Sharp is 178 degrees both directions. So I'm not sure thats a problem.

I am sure it will look good, I don't understand - do you think the Sharp will not look good?

I will mainly be showing static graphics, websites, or video as stated in the original post. Please let me know if there is further information I should be giving - source would be a mac laptop MiniDV, I think it is, or Mini DisplayPort - the mac screen is 1920 x 1200 but I guess you would output at 1080p to the monitor at 1:1.

I'm not selling HD video work or anything like that. This would be something to look at proofs on, without everybody having to huddle round a computer or laptop screen.

4. JohnyM

JohnyM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    That Sharp probably wont do 1:1 pixel mapping. Looking at it, it looks like a Vestel made re-badge so basically a generic TV with a Sharp bage on it. I've tried a few and none will do 1:1 so your stuck with a soft not pin sharp display, even when you use the VGA input.

5. Jeemy

Jeemy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then its out I think. I have found several lists of pixel mapping TVs; not sure if I am allowed to post external links, and lots of people saying that 1:1 Pixel Mapping is pretty standard these days.

So I am looking around for something suitable and it seems I would also want an IPS screen? I'm a bit confused about this - some sites say its the only way to go, and some sites say that IPS can only push contrast to 1000:1 and a VA panel is what you need. If its true that an IPS screen has awful black levels, I prefer VA I guess.

I've found the Samsung LE40A656 (definitely has 1:1 - called "Just Scan"), Sony Bravia KDL-40NX803 (cannot tell), there's lots of bargains available. But I am still finding it hard to identify which do, and which don't, especially the screen type. It seems that Sony do not use IPS although are planning to for 2013 line, I have had a Bravia 40" before which had Full Pixel mode so the KDL-40NX803 seems a good bet?

Its very difficult, every manufacturer seems to have great TVs, and duds, in their line-up, changing yearly, and sometimes different screens in the same models dependent on god knows what factors.

6. Jeemy

Jeemy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharp themselves just confirmed that model does NOT have 1:1 FYI.

7. Jeemy

Jeemy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trying to establish also whether Toshiba 40BV702B has 1:1....

8. Jeemy

Jeemy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or indeed 40BV700B

9. Jeemy

Jeemy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sigh, or 40BV801B. All Toshibas appear to have extensive scan adjustment menus to tune PC input, but nothing that mentions true 1:1. Apparently they call it "exact scan" and I've searched all 3 manuals above to no avail.

10. Jeemy

Jeemy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have gone with the Samsung LE40A676A1M. Reviews are hard to find but good, Samsung manual confims it has Just Scan, and they will deliver it Wednesday, after which I'll post a new thread or append this one as appropriate.