1:1 pixel mapping and how do i know when i have got it

inzaman

Reaction score
This weekend i have attempted my first hcpc build with thanks to email assistance from gary lightfoot on spec etc, well first pc build for that matter which is now complete and working. :smoke:

I have a Sapphire Radeon 9600 connected to my Z2 via dvi-d and the plug and play recognises this as a 1280x720 device. When i play a dvd via power dvd the menu etc fills the screen completely but when the movie is playing there is a border all around the picture about 2inch by 1inch on 1:85 material, is this normal and do i have 1:1 pixel mapping or how do i know/check i have pixel mapping, thanks Inza.

The border is probably overscan on the dvd image

Thanks guys, will have to check the link out when i get home tonight.

If it is overscan would why would this show up via hcpc and not via dvd player, is it because the hcpc scales it properly etc.

Glad to hear it all went well. :)

You often find that DVDs aren't mastered to fully fill the resolution with the image, so they don't always fit to the sides. You never see this on a tv because of the built-in overscan, and the size of the casing which holds the screen.

If you have a copy of Avia or a test disk with overscan patterns, you'll see just how much picture a tv is hiding - up to around 15% IIRC. Digital projectors are capable of showing 100%, so you often find ragged edges etc at the sides.

I take it the Windows desktop fills the screen fully?

HTH

Gary.

Thanks Gary, did go well, eventually :thumbsup:

Yes Windows fills the screen completely as do the dvd menus, it was purely two 1.85:1 movies that i was playing around with yesterday that had the black border. Played around with a 2.35:1 movie today and the edges i.e left and right were fine, couldnt tell with the top and bottom with it being 2.35 so it looks like it is the overscan, will actually give Avia a try tomorrow.

That multiregion program worked fine as well, cheers for that. Now enjoying the picture quality of hcpc, also noticed that the sound also appears a lot cleaner than my pio 757 dont know whether this is due to the fact i am using an optical lead as opposed to coaxial or due to the processing, will have to do a side by side demo over the next few days.

I thought my audio sounded better from htpc too, but I don't if that's what I wanted to hear (placebo) or if it was genuinly better. I don't know if there's such a thing as better pass-through with spdif from one machine to another, as it's the amp that does all the decoding. I've heard people mention jitter with optical as opposed to electrical (coax), but I've tried both and can't hear any difference to be honest. :)

Gary.

Gary Lightfoot said:
I thought my audio sounded better from htpc too, but I don't if that's what I wanted to hear (placebo) or if it was genuinly better. I don't know if there's such a thing as better pass-through with spdif from one machine to another, as it's the amp that does all the decoding. I've heard people mention jitter with optical as opposed to electrical (coax), but I've tried both and can't hear any difference to be honest. :)

Gary.

I upgraded from a Pioneer 535D to Pioneer 565 and the difference over s/pdif was night and day, certainly not placebo in this case.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom