1:1 pixal ??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by tris, Jan 3, 2007.

Tags:
  1. tris

tris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is this needed for me to watch films on my mce pc?
    the reason i am asking is i have ordered the bush 37 lcd from argos and planed on useing a hdmi to svga
    will the picture be as good as a dvd player connected via scart ??

2. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Your question is difficult to answer as it depends on various parts of the chain. Standard DVDs have 480 or 576 lines of data so they will have to be scaled somewhere to fit a LCD screen with say 720 lines. The idea behind 1:1 pixel mapping is to avoid re-scaling the picture within the LCD after the PC has had a go.

Whether the picture is better depends on the type of software used, speed of the processor, the graphics card you have, the range of resolutions the TV can accept and the quality of the TV. TVs frequently use over scan where the picture is made larger to avoid showing the edges so send a 1360 x 720 image and find the TV has effectively rescaled it to 1400 x 740. Only some TVs alow over scan to be switched off. I would not worry about 1:1 pixel mapping but potentially HTPCs/LCD TV can display a much better image than a DVD player linked by scart.

One last point I assume you mean you will connect by DVI to HDMI rather than HDMI to SVGA - SVGA is an analogue signal and cannot be accepted through a digital input. You will also need to route audio from your PC somehow.

3. tris

tris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well on the tv that i have atm i use vlc or media center to watch films
    the pc i use is a ideq n200 ,2800 sempron and i just put in a 9600 pro with dvi to use mce .so i guess the pc will be ok

i was just a bit botherd with what a have read with every one wanting 1 to 1 pixal maping
    as long as i get a good pic "as good as vga" with all my films that are on my hd i am :thumbsup:

thanks for your reply