• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

0845/0870 to be free, sort of, with BT

Confucius

Depends on your BT priceplan:

Having to pay for calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers can be a source of irritation for everyone. Whilst BT customers have always benefited from cheap calls to these numbers, we’ve now decided to go one step further and as of 16th January, make calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers FREE within your inclusive call time.

Depending on the type of calling plan you have, these calls are FREE during the weekend (with Unlimited Weekend Plan), evenings and weekends (with Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan) or any time (with Unlimited Anytime Plan). So now you can make the calls you need to make, without worrying about the cost.

Just thought you'd like to know!

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Indeed, as do I. But there are numbers that have no freephone alternate.

Like I said free cause of the priceplan - local calls being free up to 60 mins and using a local number alternative :)

But it's good to see that they're starting to tackle the problem, hopefully more will follow.

Confucius

They're currently spending millions of pounds on an marketing campaign for this.I must have seen that advert 5-6 times. Nice of you to help them though!

Well, I haven't seen the ads:

1: I don't watch commercial TV - I don't find anything worth watching.
2: I'm recovering from a knee operation so I've not been out of the house for over two weeks.

OK?

Confucius

Like I said free cause of the priceplan - local calls being free up to 60 mins and using a local number alternative :)

But it's good to see that they're starting to tackle the problem, hopefully more will follow.

Yes, ok, what I meant to write was "Indeed, as do I. But there are numbers that have no freephone or geographical alternate.

andykn

Yes, ok, what I meant to write was "Indeed, as do I. But there are numbers that have no freephone or geographical alternate.

I think it is a "feature" of the BT system that every landline has a geographic number, the 0870 and 0845 etc are just aliases. Its just that we don't know all the underlying geographic numbers.

I might be wrong or technology might have moved on.

The new 03 code should reduce the 0870 numbers.

smelly

I think it is a "feature" of the BT system that every landline has a geographic number, the 0870 and 0845 etc are just aliases. Its just that we don't know all the underlying geographic numbers.

I might be wrong or technology might have moved on.

The new 03 code should reduce the 0870 numbers.
Every NGN (non geographical number - 08** etc) will route to a geographical number, yes. And if you know the geographical number you can dial it direct, although there could be some disadvantages to this - any disaster recovery for large companies are done at network level, so if a call centre is closed for some reason and you dial the 08 number you will be diverted or will hear whatever message has been placed on the line - if you 'cheat' :D and dial the geographical number you'll just get the dead tone or queue (depending on the problem). Also some IVR's, normal messages etc are done at network level so you won't hear these either and might not get through to where you want to go.

Ofcom ruled a while ago that charges on 0870 numbers were unfair and there has been a move away from them. 03** numbers will replace, and will be included in price plans (e.g. free evening calls etc) whereas the 0870 numbers weren't. Companies can continue to use 0870 numbers but instead of making revenue from them, it will cost them, so most are moving to 0845 or the new 03 numbers.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom