07 Ford Focus TDCI Engine issue

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Texaspete81, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Texaspete81

Texaspete81
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All help is fully appreciated!!

I have an 07 Plate focus climate 1.8 TDCI, with 52K on the clock

Has run brilliantly since i bought it when it was 9mth old.

I had it serviced last weekend, by a retired engineer friend of mine who works on cars in his spare time.Car was running perfectly prior to servicing, unfortunately about 20 miles driving afterwards i could hear a knocking sound under the bonnet which increased and decreased with engine speed.

My car was low on fuel (showing about 30 miles left in the tank), so i pulled into the petrol station and topped her up with diesel. As i restarted the car the noise was louder.
    At first i thought that perhaps i had a loose cover, so i pulled over into a layby next to the garage to have a look but couldnt identify the source however the knocking was still present with the car parked up and idling. I revved the car and the knocking grew but i could only identify it to be around the engine area and unable to feel anything noticeable. It sounded similar to valve slap.

After a little high revving of the car, the knocking vanished so i put it down to perhaps a small airlock in the fuel filter body which seemed to have cured itself.

I set off on the motorway and after about 15 miles the knocking returned, thinking it was still a bit of air in the system i carried on driving (doing 70mph ish). About 10 miles later i started losing power to point i was just achieving 70 with my foot nailed to the floor. As i was trying to change lanes and pull over, i lost all power and also had "High engine Temp" indication come up on the dash and the car stalled.

I pulled straight over and lifted the bonnet, the engine was very hot and as i removed the oil dipstick i noticed smoke emitted from the dip tube, but the oil level was good.

From this point on, the car would not restart. She was trying but refusing to fire. Still thinking of an air lock on the fuel filter i tried venting it to find that fuel wasnt being drawn through. Actually the fuel filter body was only half full. So after much messing about, bleeding the fuel injector lines, filter and filter lines, fuel pump outlet but all to no avail, i had the car towed home, thinking the in-tank pump was probably knackered.

Couldnt see any issues with the on engine fuel pump or belt.

According to ford, my model does NOT have an in-tank fuel pump. So having reprimed the fuel lines by bleeding them off and topping up the filter body i managed to get the car restarted after lots of turning over. The car struggled to achieve 1000rpm and in less than 20 secs i had "high engine temp" light up and the car shut itself down. Checking under the bonnet again, oil level was good, but severe smoking from the oil dip tube and cooling water was very hot.

All filters were replaced (oil, fuel, air, cabin) as part of the service and the correct grade of oil was refilled.

I have not taken the engine apart or even opened it and am reluctant to do so as some remanufacture companies wont take it as a swap for a replacement if its been opened.

Has any of you guys and girls seen this before?

Any help is hugely appreciated as i really dont want to shell out £1800 on a replacement.

Thanks in advance

2. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,416
    Was the coolant changed as part of the service? It could have an air lock or the water pump could of gone. How long does it take to heat up?

3. Texaspete81

Texaspete81
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, the levels and strength of cooling were good so it wasnt touched as ford can be a bit of a nightmare for air locking the engine block, in my experience

4. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,305
    Is that a Zetec model?

5. Texaspete81

Texaspete81
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, zetec climate with the duratorq TDCI engine

6. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,305
    Oh dear, sounds like it could be the tappets, reason I suspect this is because you also mentioned the recent service which seemed to set it off. A freind had exactly the same issues you had after a service, you might want to google zetec tappets banging and find the many threads relating.

From what I understand, it is caused by oil which the zetec engines dissagree with, it would have been the service before your engineer friends. Apparantly, the engine will tolerate the poor oil but once it is changed, the damage presents itself very quickly. My friend was told the damage was so bad it needed a new engine :thumbsdow

7. Texaspete81

Texaspete81
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be honest, i didnt get round to servicing it last year so it had probably done 20k on the oil that was in her. Replaced it with a high spec Duratorq specific new oil.

Heres hoping its not an engine write off