06 Mondoe ST TDCi, noisy engine

Kalv122

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just purchased a 2006 ST Tdci, all is well but have noticed that the diesel engine is noisy.
It’s more noticeable when the car is stationary. I used to own a 2006 2.0 Tdci Mondeo Edge and that also used to have a similar issue. Is this a common issue with Ford diesel engines?
The ST still has 6 months warranty and I’m unsure as to whether to take the car to the local Ford dealer to gain their opinion. Any thoughts and advice.
Many thanks
Kal

All diesel engines are noisey, its often a knocking type sound. My neighbour has a mondeo ST and thats quite loud compared to my dads octavia 1.9 TDI.

check the stationary idle speed, mine goes down to 800-850rpm when stationary but the moving idle speed is about 950.
This is an economy measure like the stop/start stuff that is advetised now.

All diesel engines are noisey, its often a knocking type sound. My neighbour has a mondeo ST and thats quite loud compared to my dads octavia 1.9 TDI.

Ford diesels aren't usually noisier than the 1.9tdi VAG unit.
It's a very noisy engine.

It's very common for the dual mass flywheel to get noisy on them. sounds like rattling spanners round in a tin. Hope it's not that becaulse it's likely the warrenty wont cover it and they are quite pricey to get fixed.

The 2006 diesel 2.0 TDCi may well have been the Peugeot 16v engine, which is a lot quieter than Ford's 2.2 TDCi. Ford diesels are pretty agricultural when stationary, but if it's still really bad when at 1400-1800rpm in 5th (windows up!), then you may wish to investigate further.

That said, almost all VAG engines are far noisier than their counterparts, but the newer common rail models are a bit better.

many thanks for the feedback.. silly question but what are the signs to look out for if the dual mass fly wheel is about to go.. the clutch seems ok..

Ford diesels aren't usually noisier than the 1.9tdi VAG unit.
It's a very noisy engine.

We had the misfortune of a Mondeo TDCi a couple of years ago when someone had attempted to destroy my wife's car.....the engine was fairly poor on power and torque as well as sounding like a bag of bolts,by comparison with more modern diesels of the time(i.e. Peugeot/Citroen and VAG).

We had the misfortune of a Mondeo TDCi a couple of years ago when someone had attempted to destroy my wife's car.....the engine was fairly poor on power and torque as well as sounding like a bag of bolts,by comparison with more modern diesels of the time(i.e. Peugeot/Citroen and VAG).

The 8v Ford diesels are pants. I have the 1.8 TDCi in the Focus MKII and it's gutless, but quite economical. Bag-o-spanners though - I always sound like I'm heading off to plough a field at low speeds. Motorway is pretty damned quiet though.

Mondeo's are notorious for the noise sounds like a tractor, especially when starting from cold , when warmed up a lot quieter. I got a 2005 ghia x tdci . Would not swap it for any other car , she keeps going on and on and returns 45-50 mpg. :D

I imagine something was amiss with this car as i have 2.0 tdci and its pretty punchy :p

I imagine something was amiss with this car as i have 2.0 tdci and its pretty punchy :p

Depends on whether it's the 8v Ford 2.0 TDCi or the improved 16v Peugeot derived 2.0 TDCi. The latter being somewhat better :)

Hi all,

Just purchased a 2006 ST Tdci, all is well but have noticed that the diesel engine is noisy.
It’s more noticeable when the car is stationary. I used to own a 2006 2.0 Tdci Mondeo Edge and that also used to have a similar issue. Is this a common issue with Ford diesel engines?
The ST still has 6 months warranty and I’m unsure as to whether to take the car to the local Ford dealer to gain their opinion. Any thoughts and advice.
Many thanks
Kal

Ours make a loud idle noise, it's normal.

It was pretty much brand new,but just lacking compared to more modern common rail diesels.

I always thought the focus was one of the better and more popular ford range. They seem to get a good write up in the papers. Perhaps that was the petrol version.

I always thought the focus was one of the better and more popular ford range. They seem to get a good write up in the papers. Perhaps that was the petrol version.

Who said it wasn't a good car? :laugh: Plenty of great cars don't go "fast"! I stepped down from an ST170 to a 1.8 TDCi, so it felt exceedingly underwhelming. Having driven the 2.0TDCi (Peugeot derivative), it's a country mile better and only a little less efficient :)

The 1.8 TDCi engines eat alternators and the fuel filters are a real pain to bleed up after you change them....and yes, they are noisy.

The 1.8 TDCi engines eat alternators...
Funny you should say that, my mate has had the alternator go on his 1.8 TDCI Focus with only about 40k on the clock. Is it the same with the 1.8 diesel new shape Mondeos?

Funny you should say that, my mate has had the alternator go on his 1.8 TDCI Focus with only about 40k on the clock. Is it the same with the 1.8 diesel new shape Mondeos?

I haven't come across one of the new ones yet, but the fleet of 8 Focus 1.8 TDCi I used to look after (they changed them for Meganes now) all had at least 2 alternators each.
They all had the top turbo pipe split as well (loud hissing noise under acceleration).

Last edited:
Think you will find if the springs have gone in the split mass flywheel it will drive like a pig, if your unsure and it has warranty then you have nothing to lose by taking it into your Ford dealer for a check over.
The diesel engine in your Mondeo is the 'puma' engine which is now only found in the Transit and also fitted in some Land rover's.
It always has been a noisy engine and with time it does not get any better, hence why it is quite suited to the Transit.
The 1.8 is the 'lynx' engine and has been around for donkeys years in one form or another.
Personally I like this engine, okay it's only 8v by the high output engine I think performs very well and is certainly easier to work than a lot of today's diesel engines.
I currently have a 2009 Mondeo with the latest 2.0 diesel engine made by PSA, although not particularly quick it is returning 45 mpg which I feel is quite good for a big car.
That said, I pick up my new Focus ST in two weeks so won't give a damn about mpg then !.

Think you will find if the springs have gone in the split mass flywheel it will drive like a pig, if your unsure and it has warranty then you have nothing to lose by taking it into your Ford dealer for a check over.
The diesel engine in your Mondeo is the 'puma' engine which is now only found in the Transit and also fitted in some Land rover's.
It always has been a noisy engine and with time it does not get any better, hence why it is quite suited to the Transit.
The 1.8 is the 'lynx' engine and has been around for donkeys years in one form or another.
Personally I like this engine, okay it's only 8v by the high output engine I think performs very well and is certainly easier to work than a lot of today's diesel engines.
I currently have a 2009 Mondeo with the latest 2.0 diesel engine made by PSA, although not particularly quick it is returning 45 mpg which I feel is quite good for a big car.
That said, I pick up my new Focus ST in two weeks so won't give a damn about mpg then !.

Many thanks for the feedback.. still got 6 months warranty so may ask the local ford dealer to check it out.. I did suspect that it may be a issue with the DMF , when stationary the engine has a slight vibration sound (sounds like a mini cab with 100k on the clock) ... but ford being ford will no doubt say this is not covered within the warranty as its a wear and tear item.. i know that the DMF can be expensive to fit so may have to look around at different places.. Mr Clutch suggested that the whole system is changed at the tune of 1000 quid... :(

1000 quid to do the job does not sound un-realistic to me as to work on that engine is a pig.
I know of someone who had to change the dmf on a 1.8 tdci focus and including parts it was about £750, and that was with Ford discount on the bits :eek:.
Working on today's Mondeo is a far more pleasant experience, not that it helps you much !.
First stop Ford's me thinks, after that if you like the car that much then may have to bite the bullet and have it done.
Or you could chance your luck and just trade it in ? ?.

It's just nature's way of telling you that you should have bought the ST220, with the V6..........:D

thesilverfox said:
Ford diesels are pretty agricultural when stationary, but if it's still really bad when at 1400-1800rpm in 5th (windows up!), then you may wish to investigate further.
I'm not quite sure what is meant by "agricultural", however we recently bought a 2008 Mondeo Estate 2.0 diesel, and the idle vibrations after it's warmed up seem more than our old Audi petrol - is this normal?

It's odd because when cold the vibrations don't seem as noticeable. Of course these aren't huge juddering-thru-the-steering-wheel vibrations, like an old diesel Bedford van a mate had back in the 80s, you have to place your foot on the floor to feel them - but more than I'm used to.

So is there any way to test what is normal? Like a glass of water on the dash or something?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom