Question 0.2Mbps Upload speed on fibre

The problem is either an Openreach issue before the DSLAM in the green box in the street or a talk talk issue. Either way another call to talk talk is required and you need to explain what you've said here that you have 18mbps sync/connection speed reported in the router stats but when you go on a speediest website then it is only reporting 0.2mbps. It could be any number of things causing it from something as simple as a cap placed on the line right up to a faulty piece of equipment somewhere beyond the local network. They will either look at it their end or send another Openreach engineer and if they do again explain all this to them.

The socket is fine now that you've cut back on the cabling in the socket.

I've spent hours bouncing off one talktalk tech support guy to another and haven't progressed at all. Honestly, its the worst support experience I've ever had to endure. They are truely terrible.

I got nowhere with them. A stone wall of 'reset your router' and other very unhelpful suggestions while ignoring anything I say.

Am I able to contact BT Openreach and bypass TalkTalk?
I'm desperate to leave TalkTalk now but I'm only a few months into contract. I'll have to see if I can leave early.

They are awful.

Just tried to call Openreach. After listening to a pre-recorded message for 3 minutes it hangs up.

I haven't had a lot of dealing with phone companys over the years, have they always had terrible customer service? I massively appreciate the help in this thread but it shouldn't be up to us to fix issues.

Sadly you will find Openreach will not talk to you as their client is TalkTalk. If the service your getting is not right then TT have 30 days from when you raised the issue to put it right, after that you can walk away. Please note I need to check to see if Ofcom have updated this process to now include upload speeds. But in any event you need to be 100% sure it's not you or your equipment causing the issue.

As for trying to help fix it then that's what we do. So hopefully we can find a way through this for you or prove that it's TT's service/equipment that is causing the problem.

Last edited:
I tried disconnecting all devices from the router except my phone, then ran the speed test again. Same result.

I've changed all wires to new ones as well.

I don't think there is anything else I can do at my end. I think I might have to pay for an engineer to come and seek a refund after.

If I do that what do you think I should tell the engineer?

TalkTalk are notorious for their poor customer service. Part of that is their reputation from the days they grew faster than they could handle but even surveys of recent experiences tend to put them bottom of the pile.

As techquest says, you're not tied to your contract if TalkTalk aren't providing the service so I would definitely leave early rather than trying to bang your head against the wall further.

Is your Openreach line overhead or underground?

I had an Openreach engineer here this morning as well and he couldn't find any fault with the line.

Go to the BT DSL Checker and enter your phone number.

What does it say in the observed speed section (Up/Down/Date)?

I'm not saying it's the socket but if an engineer is going to come out then you should definitely get him to take the faceplate off and check it out.

Ask him to show you confirmation of your test results and, if you can, take a picture of the stuff on his test equipment so you have proof. You could then post that on here so we can see the results.

When he carries out the tests he has to wait about 15 - 20 mins for the auto equipment at the distant end to confirm your line is good, bad or indifferent, this result is used to sign off the fact that he has done everything necessary. Make sure he confirms this to you.

From what you have been saying if the fault is in any piece of equipment associated with your service then they should be able to detect the problem(s) that are causing your issue.

At this time IMHO I don't think you should be paying for this visit as you have a problem with your service and I would be making sure that TalkTalk. Ask TT what is your Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed (MGALS), download and upload. They have to provide you with this information.

As @EndlessWaves has said, and if you've had enough, tell them if they don't resolve it with immediate effect your walking away. If your going to do that, and you have no way of recording your conversation, then I would do so through an online chat, that way you have the written evidence.

Last edited:
Is your Openreach line overhead or underground?

Go to the BT DSL Checker and enter your phone number.

What does it say in the observed speed section (Up/Down/Date)?

You won't get anything back on that as it's a TalkTalk number not BT. This is what will come back, I ran it on my TT line to show what happens.

"There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line."

Last edited:
I just got home and turned my PC on. The internet speed seemed snappy so I ran a speed test.

The speeds are back to normal! Hurray!

Earlier on I noticed an Openreach engineer working on the cabinet at the top of the road and later I saw they had even sectioned off part of the pavement to work on lines. I've no idea if this is related, it may just be a coincidence, but the main thing is the line is working again.

For a geek like me to have almost no internet for 6 days has been a real pain. To deal with the utter shambles of TalkTalk has been eye opening. Next time my contract is up I won't be going for the cheapest, I'll be going for the service that has a UK call centre as a minimum!

I genuinly appreciate the help here, I really do. Thank you. Fingers crossed the line carries on working!

It sounds as though they had a problem in or around the cab and your problem stemmed from there. Good to know your back up and running. As for going to a new company next time, good luck there.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom