Quantcast

Question 0.2Mbps Upload speed on fibre

Hi all

I'm a bit stuck at the moment, I'm looking for advice on what to do with my faulty connection.

I've had TalkTalk fibre for about 6 months now but 3 days ago my connection started to show signs all was not well. Running speed tests showed my download speed was fine at around 45Mbps, but my upload speed had dropped to 0.2Mbps.

The strange thing is my router states its receiving 18Mpbs upload. I had an Openreach engineer here this morning as well and he couldn't find any fault with the line.

So you might assume the fault is from the router to my desktop but I've run the test on my iPhone using wifi, my desktop using wired, changed all cables, and 2 routers, nothing has made a difference.

I'm stumped.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

techquest

Can you confirm, are you on FTTC (Fibre to the cab) or FTTP ( fibre to the premises)?

What router do you have?

What model is your Desktop?

Are you running W10?

techquest

Your link to the TT router has no info, no worries (it just took a long time to appear). I'm with TT, have FTTC and have the so called Sagem Fast 5364 router, is that what you have? now confirmed you do by the link.

So when the Open Reach engineer came to look at your service did you get to see his test results, proving it wasn't a line or exchange problem?

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I think you've adequately ruled out stuff at the router and beyond. If you've been using just one speedtest then it may misdiagnose the problems you're having as upload speed but as you've seen then before you started testing it's clearly something.

The other thing left on your end would be the filter (microfilter/filtered socket/filtered faceplate) between the router and openreach. Do you have a spare VDSL/FTTC one to test if that's faulty?

Oh, and the cable between the filter and router. Did you change that when you changed routers?

I google'd speedtest and ran it on a few different sites, they all measure the same. I've only run one site on my iPhone so I'll try some others on that.

I changed the socket on the wall to a pre-filtered one, changed the cable from that socket to the router and changed the cable from the router to the PC.

The router states its running at 19Mbps upload but I'm not seeing that at all. I don't understand how that can be.

Unfortunately I didn't see the test results but he seemed pretty stumped as well, I don't think he was lying.

techquest

What faceplate do you have?

New type with in built filter

1579707781077.png

or older type single master socket

1579707858647.png

if it's the older type you will have 2 filters that were supplied by TT in the box your Sagem Fast 5364 router came in that look something like this
1579708080242.png

They have a habit of going faulty so as suggested try swapping them. No matter what type faceplate you have the cable from this to your PC could also be faulty so as suggested also try changing that.

Open Reach only have to prove service to your faceplate but some engineers will confirm if the service is passing the filter and cable okay. They should really have replaced an older type faceplate for the newer combined type but it is not insisted on as it saves cost.

Again what are you using to test the speed of your broadband, as that will have an effect on the result too?

techquest

Unfortunately I didn't see the test results but he seemed pretty stumped as well, I don't think he was lying.
He wouldn't have been lying, no need too. But if he proved the service was okay to the faceplate then it makes no sense for him not to have checked out the filters, on an older type faceplate, and the lead. Though as I said they don't have to do that. Were it me I would have wanted to know and would have checked.

Another question, just in case he didn't check. Do you have a telephone extension installed?

Its the new type of face plate, I replaced it a few months ago as my connection was unreliable. That problem seemed to fix itself and wasn't the same as this. This one seems to only be affected the upload speed.

I used Speedtest.net, Broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk, Which.co.uk, and the one that seems to be run by Google itself.

I changed all the cables.

I don't have a phone connected anywhere and no extensions, just the router connected to the only socket in the flat.

techquest

Sorry but another quick question.

when you say you replaced it I guess your saying you did so physically. With the new type of faceplate all connections should be crimped, as shown here

1579712436807.png

Did you crimp the connections, the A & B legs incoming to the faceplate connections. If not this will cause connection issues and in particular speed drop off's. If the Open Reach engineer never removed the faceplate he would not have known.

Yes it was a replacement socket I bought.

I've taken the plate off and I see there are 4 inner wires coming through the wall but only 2 of them are connected to the socket. It looks a bit of a mess tbh but nothing has changed there in months.

Picture on its way, I'm using my phone to upload as my PC won't do it.

Attachments

Last edited:

techquest

Only 2 wires are needed, they are what are called the A and B legs.

The important thing here is how did you make those connections. From what I see in your screenshot they look as though you twisted them together and put some sleeving, off the cable, onto the twisted wires. This is not good, they have to be crimped to make sure the joint is good. How long they've been that way is not an issue, other than it might be over time that the twists have done what they usually do and have loosened and the joints have now given you a poor connection as far as broadband is concerned. They will be okay for phone but not for broadband.

As for the Open Reach engineer, the service coming into the socket would probably have looked okay as he was only really testing the connection on the pair to the faceplate. He should however have taken that faceplate off and he would immediately have seen that an known that was not done by an OR engineer and also that was a source for a problem.

That connection has to be sorted before we can determine what else, if anything, is causing your problem.

Last edited:
The wiring mess was't done by myself. I replaced a like for like socket so all I did was take the 2 wires out and put them into the new socket. I didn't touch the rest.

I'll have a read online and see if there is a guide to do this myself correctly. Otherwise I'll need to get someone in to do it.

techquest

The wiring mess as you call it is a problem and needs to be fixed.

If you didn't do it then call or email TalkTalk and get them to get an Open Reach engineer to call and put it right. The fault has to be signed off by TalkTalk as being fixed, which it clearly hasn't and they need for you to tell them it has been fixed or not. The OR engineer definitely didn't do his job correctly, had he he would have spotted that mess and fixed it. Don't mention you replaced the socket as they may well try and charge you £60 for fixing it.

You don't have the tools to do a crimp job but you can buy them and the gel filled crimps should you want to do it yourself. Let us know if that's the case and will point you to where you can get them and explain what you need to do.

Thank you.

Which cables need the crimp?

I just watched the video below and he doesn't mention needing them.

I’ve cut the cable down to remove the crimps etc. I realise this probably isn’t correct but it’s not working anyway so thought I’d try it. It’s had no effect. Download speed is about 45Mbps and upload is 0.2.

Attachments

techquest

Your socket is the correct NTE5c MK2 type.

Don't pay too much attention to that video as the guy can't even strip the cable properly, however in principle the termination is correct.

So if I look at the picture you now have you seem to have cut away the black cable that was in your first screenshot. Yes or no?

You have a 4 wire cable ( grey) that looks like your incoming cable pair. But it looks like, in your first screenshot, the Blue and Orange were being used on the grey cable. But it is a confusing picture.

Normally you would be using the Blue and Orange wires as your A and B legs but it looks as though someone opted to use the Green and Brown instead. This might be because that grey cable had a problem with the Blue and Orange and at some time the pair was swapped over to the Green and Brown. Or someone just used the wrong pair in the cable.

Do you know where this cable comes from, as it''s not standard for bringing the incoming pair into a premises. Is there another BT block somewhere in your flat or block of flats?

Assuming the incoming pair is ok it is now correctly terminated on the push down connector on the faceplate so no need for gel crimp connectors. But I would want to know that the grey cable is good, it's a bit suspect at the moment.

Last edited:

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
If your router stats show an upload speed of 18Mbps it is not an issue with your wiring. A physical issue would cause the DLM to drops your sync speed to try and keep the line stable.

The engineer only checked for sync speed, your issue is the throughput speed which is not tested for and is not an Openreach wiring issue (however it could be an issue between Openreach and Talk talk or purely with Talk talk. Either way the engineer could have gone more in depth to prove this.

Think of sync speed (18mbps) as a water pipe and the throughput (0.2mbps) as the flow coming through the pipe. Openreach look after the pipe your service provider is responsible for the flow going through it.

techquest

If your router stats show an upload speed of 18Mbps it is not an issue with your wiring. A physical issue would cause the DLM to drops your sync speed to try and keep the line stable.

The engineer only checked for sync speed, your issue is the throughput speed which is not tested for and is not an Openreach wiring issue (however it could be an issue between Openreach and Talk talk or purely with Talk talk. Either way the engineer could have gone more in depth to prove this.

Think of sync speed (18mbps) as a water pipe and the throughput (0.2mbps) as the flow coming through the pipe. Openreach look after the pipe your service provider is responsible for the flow going through it.
The Sagem Fast 5364 could be showing good stats from time to time, but if the actual termination is not good then equally you could get bad stats. The Open Reach engineer didn't do his job properly in the first place, had he done so then he would have spotted the mess of the faceplate as shown in the screenshot in post #13 and put it right.

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
If the termination is not good the connection will intermittently drop and the sync speed will drop to try and compensate that.

A "mess" of wiring is not the posters issue for the sync speed and throughput speed to be wildly different.