0.256mb max broadband speed in Ipswich?!

okgaz

Standard Member
Hi!

I just bought a newbuild house in Ipswich and yesterday our phone line was connected. Before here I lived in rural Wales where the max broadband speed was 8mb so I couldn't wait to see what speeds I could sign up to here, a major town with lots of ppl living here and business' (could it be 16mb, 24mb??).

To my major dissapointment after phoning around today the maximum speed anybody can offer me is 0.256mb.

D: D: D:

Apparently this is my local exchange:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange.php?ecode=EABEL

Are speeds like this normal in Ipswich D: wth is going on??

Rygar

Does not look right unless you are very far away from your exchange. Looks like you have a fair bit of choice there including cable.

What does it say if you enter your details here and here?

okgaz

Standard Member
Thx for the neat links.

The first one said that the following LLUs are in my exchange:
BT Wholesale ADSL
BT Wholesale ADSL Max
AOL LLU
Bulldog LLU
TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU

and

21CN PSTN migration due Apr-Jun 2009

and the second one told me:

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not support a reliable ADSL Max broadband service, with current technology. However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will still be accepted, but an engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the service.
If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Rygar

Hmm, looks like its your distance from the exchange that is the problem & the ISPs you have talked to are hedging their bets based on what that BT checker is telling you/them.

Tough one really. Pity you cant get cable. In your shoes I would probably order Zen Home 250. It is 256kbps, unlimited with one month contract for £18/month.
http://www.zen.co.uk/Broadband/athome.aspx

Once you are up & running you will be able to get some live line stats that I or someone else can look at for you. Then we will have a better idea of the maximum to expect from your line. No point in paying for a faster service if your line wont handle it. If your stats look OK you could step up to a faster service, but you may have to prepare for the fact that 256kbps is as fast as you're going to get.

okgaz

Standard Member
Sounds like a good idea. I'll try phoning zen tmrw. I already have an adsl router so hopefully they can get me up and running fairly quickly.

+ yeah it is a shame about cable, especially since we can't get freeview tv here either >_<

Hmm, looks like its your distance from the exchange that is the problem & the ISPs you have talked to are hedging their bets based on what that BT checker is telling you/them.

Tough one really. Pity you cant get cable. In your shoes I would probably order Zen Home 250. It is 256kbps, unlimited with one month contract for £18/month.
http://www.zen.co.uk/Broadband/athome.aspx

Once you are up & running you will be able to get some live line stats that I or someone else can look at for you. Then we will have a better idea of the maximum to expect from your line. No point in paying for a faster service if your line wont handle it. If your stats look OK you could step up to a faster service, but you may have to prepare for the fact that 256kbps is as fast as you're going to get.

okgaz

Standard Member
btw here is a picture showing where we are (black arrow) + where the exchange is (according to samknows - green marker) is that a long way?

sotonjoe

btw here is a picture showing where we are (black arrow) + where the exchange is (according to samknows - green marker) is that a long way?

hard to tell without any indication of scale. I'm sure others will be able to offer more detail but, as i understood it, once you're a couple of km from the exchange speeds are really going to suffer.

I lived less than a kilometre from my local exchange and achieved near on 8mb (not quite though) on my previous freedom2surf connection.

WelshBluebird

The best thing to do is to try to order a rate adaptive service, and see how fast that connects (as it will connect as fast as your line can support).
Perhaps with a Entanet reseller (up to 8Mbps, 30GB peak cap, 300GB off peak, £20 a month).

Rygar

The best thing to do is to try to order a rate adaptive service, and see how fast that connects (as it will connect as fast as your line can support).
Perhaps with a Entanet reseller (up to 8Mbps, 30GB peak cap, 300GB off peak, £20 a month).
I was going to suggest that too but the problem may be getting an ISP to accept the order based on what the BT Wholesale checker is saying. The other thing is most RADSL services are going to be more expensive than the fixed 256k service, and if it turns out the line cant get beyond say 256k or 1Mb, is it going to be worth it? May be an idea though. I think the most imortant thing is to get some sort of short contract ADSL working on the line then seeing what the stats say.

Rygar

You know that only looks like about 2.5km at the most (it should tell you the distance on Samknows). If that is the case then maybe things wont be so bad. round 6Mb would probably be possible. Keep your fingers crossed its just a data base error, which does happen from time to time.

okgaz

Standard Member
You know that only looks like about 2.5km at the most (it should tell you the distance on Samknows). If that is the case then maybe things wont be so bad. round 6Mb would probably be possible. Keep your fingers crossed its just a data base error, which does happen from time to time.

When I enter my details samknows doesn't say the distance. Perhaps it is because I have a new postcode + the db they use hasn't been updated yet. Anyway, I just tried the postcode from a couple of streets away + it looks like I'm about 2km from the exchange.

Sky Broadband have said that I can join them on their (upto) 16mb package (£10/months unlimited bandwidth) but will only get 0.256mb.

Since the price is pretty good I'm tempted to get it anyway + I guess it'll make the broadband run at it's max speed? It is a 1 year contract though so if its not so good I'll be stuck with it.

What do you guys think?

P.S. Thanks for all the great responses, this forum rocks :)

Rygar

Sky Broadband have said that I can join them on their (upto) 16mb package (£10/months unlimited bandwidth) but will only get 0.256mb
Thats just Sky customer services giving an estimate based on the BT checker. If the BT checker happens to be wrong (which you are hoping for) then Sky will be wrong as well.

However going with Sky may be a good idea as it is a cheap option. I'm guessing even if you can only get 256k, you will take it over 56k dial up!

What I would do though is go for the mid service at first. It's only £5/month for a 40GB/month allowance. To be honest 40 GB is going to be more than enough at that speed (if you left your connection running 24/7 you would only reach around 65 GB). If your line is capable of much faster you can always upgrade to max. Also bear in mind the set up charge which I think is £30 or £40.

12 month contract true enough but you also get an 8 day cooling off period to see what the service is like.

Try this link to see if you can get a distance.

okgaz

Standard Member
Try this link to see if you can get a distance.

lmao, well there's my problem right there!

I tried samknows on a few roads around me + I must between 1.7 & 2km away from the exchange. I also just tried phoning zen + they have a £47 connection charge which seems a bit steep? A 1 month contract is good though.

Rygar

That is a BT Wholesale charge. ISPs have 2 choices: get you to pay for it at the start or absorb it. Those who absorb it will always tie you into a minimum of 12 month contract. Definately looking a like a BT data base error. I'd tend to just go with a rate adaptive service on an ISP that takes your fancy now....Sky still a good choice, max has no connection fee. Monitor closely during 8 day cool off period.

psikey

Distinguished Member
The prediction ifo is "as the crow flies" distances.

I only get 1MB & I'm 3.2Km away from my exchange but my village is wired through a nearby village not direct making actual line length over 7Km.

I'm just switching to O2 ADSL2+ as theoretically I could get 1.7MB but will have to see when it goes live on the 14th.

Most ISP's would say I could only get 512k.

okgaz

Standard Member
Our broadband was activated today. We got the £10/month (16mb unlimited if I remember right) deal from sky in the end.

It's been running at 6.5mb download and 0.5mb upload all day.

YAY! :clap:

So, if anybody else is quoted really crappy figures as the max speed their line can handle there's no need to panic as they may well be totally wrong :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom