“My Violent Child” On Channel 5

It still does not matter as it is still too strong for any six year old however parents are fighting a losing battle because every where you look you are surrounded by images of violence be it on tv, advertising, some music videos and physical/mental bullying at schools !!

I was joking. :smashin:

I’ve watched the programme on catch up and I stand by what I said earlier. You’ve got three mums with low self-esteem and no support, bringing up the product of a broken home. I know plenty of single mums manage to raise well adjusted little citizens but the women featured in that programme clearly aren’t up to the job.
The one father who was in the show was caught laughing at his ex-partner being beat up by his son. He should have tried to help her but as I say he just thought it was funny. He admitted there was a problem
with the child but as he lived away from them he seemed to take no responsibility. That lad who suffered from sight and hearing disabilities his Dad ran off as soon as he found out his son was disabled so he wants nothing to do with the child. Disgraceful!! I have a 19 year old son who is perfectly healthy but if he had been born with disabilities there is no way I would walk away. I would make sure I was there with his mother to
make sure he had a stable home and hope to help him have a good future. That man who left his son is
no father just a coward who shirked his responsibilities !!

This is going to be one of those threads where predominantly people with zero experience of the issue, in this case experience of a child with issues and all that encompasses pass simplistic judgement calls.

I know a fantastic parent , dealing with a child with issues . There simply is no reasoning, no calming down, she survives by dealing with him in her way because that's what gets her through the day.

From an outside view, letting bad behaviour pass, seems like bad parenting, but it's just not that simple.what works with normal kids doesn't work on kids who are simply wired differently with conditions.

I'm absurdly lucky to have two well behaved, easy kids, being a great parent is significantly easier under those conditions.

Try years of anger management, doctors, shrinks, medications, tests, etc, then pass judgement.

Note, I have not seen the program, I'm generalising about kids with issues.
I notice you say 'she survives by..' Why isn't it 'they survive by...' is there a father in the picture? One common theme about the three boys featured in that programme is the lack of a strong father figure. Those boys needed the discipline only the firm hand of a father could bring. A father who could teach them to respect their mum and themselves.

I have not seen this programme, but from all accounts these are kids who have behavioral problems exasperated by parents who are struggling to cope.

I do not think it is as easy to just say "bad parents", while they might be doing something or many things wrong they are probably just trying to get through the each day as best they can.

However when was the last time you seen a "normal environment" in a "reality" TV show.

Actually in saying that I watched that adopted programme on BBC1 with the Lorraine Pascale Chef girl. That was a good watch, despite it being quite emotional for her and the people involved.

Here Comes Honey Boo Boo currently holds my "WTF am I watching" record for reality family environments.

I keep seeing it on the planner but I cant bring myself to watch it. I have a feeling I might start sounding Like a Daily Mail reader if I do

I keep seeing it on the planner but I cant bring myself to watch it. I have a feeling I might start sounding Like a Daily Mail reader if I do

It's amazing. An example. 3 Obese girls make a red neck slip and slide by spreading butter all over themselves and their hallway and then sliding down it.

It's amazing. An example. 3 Obese girls make a red neck slip and slide by spreading butter all over themselves and their hallway and then sliding down it.

I thought it was about a pre teen beauty pageant ??

thats little miss sunshine :laugh:

i always wondered why a real life miss piggy was being entered in a beauty pageant. in fact i find things like that for young kids a bit disturbing.

thats little miss sunshine :laugh:

i always wondered why a real life miss piggy was being entered in a beauty pageant. in fact i find things like that for young kids a bit disturbing.

Ditto on the disturbing. It's all a bit wrong

i think that movie summed it up well when they pan to some dirty looking men who just went to stare at the young girls. its a great little indie movie.

No, that's Tantrums and Tiaras. Honey Boo Boo is a spin off of this focusing solely on one of the more "precocious" contestants and her overtly red neck family.

Honey Boo Boo is now too obese to compete in the pageants.

i thought Tantrums and Tiaras was something to do with elton john?

No, that's Tantrums and Tiaras. Honey Boo Boo is a spin off of this focusing solely on one of the more "precocious" contestants and her overtly red neck family.

Honey Boo Boo is now too obese to compete in the pageants.

Sounds.......err.......great ;)

Sounds.......err.......great ;)

It is the nadir or pinnacle (depending on view) of current reality TV and for that reason alone makes it a must watch for anyone interested in continuing decline of modern civilisation. :D

nah, screw it, the truth is, fat stupid people rolling in butter makes me laugh.

I have not seen this programme, but from all accounts these are kids who have behavioral problems exasperated by parents who are struggling to cope.

I do not think it is as easy to just say "bad parents", while they might be doing something or many things wrong they are probably just trying to get through the each day as best they can.
What's a bad parent in your book? I think a feckless father abandoning his kids and partner is a bad parent. It's no mystery why the three boys featured turned out angry and destructive. If in each case the father had hung around and supported his family the boys wouldn't have grown up taking their anger out on their mums.

I notice you say 'she survives by..' Why isn't it 'they survive by...' is there a father in the picture? One common theme about the three boys featured in that programme is the lack of a strong father figure. Those boys needed the discipline only the firm hand of a father could bring. A father who could teach them to respect their mum and themselves.

As mentioned above. I have not seen the program.

I can't comment on whether the kids you're referring to are just badly behaved or have a serious behaviour condition.

If it's the former, then discipline will help entirely, if it's the latter, it's a totally different kettle of fish.

As far as suggesting only a father can discipline children efficiently, you just maligned millions of single mothers who bring up their children perfectly.

How many kids have you brought up and could you have done it without their mother?

As far as suggesting only a father can discipline children efficiently, you just maligned millions of single mothers who bring up their children perfectly.
You haven't watched the programme but you could at least read the whole of this thread. I was referring to the 3 boys and mums featured in the programme not all single mums nor all children.

You are avoiding the issue of "discipline only the firm hand of a father can bring"...

So 1) You apparently condone hard physical violence against children? and 2) you think only men can dispense a physical reprimand ?

I hope I'm reading that wrong.

You are avoiding the issue of "discipline only the firm hand of a father can bring"...

So 1) You apparently condone hard physical violence against children? and 2) you think only men can dispense a physical reprimand ?

I hope I'm reading that wrong.
I didn't mean discipline = violence. Discpline is laying down boundaries and rules, ensuring the child understands the boundaries and holding a firm line. Both genders can lay down discipline. However, in the case of the boys featured in the programme they clearly don't have any discipline nor any respect for their mums.. What they need is a male role model to teach them how to behave towards and respect women. Where a boy thinks it's OK to beat his mother I sincerely believe it's nigh on impossible for him to learn to respect women in the absence of a positive male role model. He's not going to learn how to respect women from other women, no matter how expert they may be.

That's why I put in the "hope I'm wrong" caveat. I'm still unconvinced that a 6-7 year old "needs" a positive "male" role model. They just needed a positive role model of any sex much earlier in their lives. I respect women because I respect women, not because my father "made" me.

That's why I put in the "hope I'm wrong" caveat. I'm still unconvinced that a 6-7 year old "needs" a positive "male" role model. They just needed a positive role model of any sex much earlier in their lives.
I couldn't agree with you more and at the age of 7 it's still possible for a positive female role model to turn things around. I think, however, a boy beating his mum up doesn't only demonstrate a disrespect for the mother, it demonstrates a disrespect for women. As a consequence it going to be harder for a women to have a positive impact on his behaviour.

I respect women because I respect women, not because my father "made" me.
You don't have to be made or even directly told to respect women. I learnt to respect women by following the example of the adult males around me during my childhood.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom